• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Book commentary: Zen and Now ÔÇô On the Trail of Robert Pirsig

jpk1100

I just finished reading Zen and Now ÔÇô On the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Mark Richardson (Alfred A. Knopf, 2008, 274 pages)

Richardson is the editor of the Wheels section at the Toronto Star. A car aficionado, and a rider too.

He is also a great admirer of Robert Pirsig and his famous book: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance first published in 1974, which sold millions of copies.

The PirsigÔÇÖs book is well known, mainly philosophical, being subtitled ÔÇ£An Inquiry into valuesÔÇØ and a personal search for the concept of Quality. His somewhat difficult relation with his son is also at the center of the story.

Richardson follows the same road Pirsig, his son Chris and two friends rode in 1968 from Minneapolis to California, through North and South Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Oregon, from which came the legendary 1974 book. More than just a travelogue, Richardson presents a well-researched dossier on Pirsig. He had access to first hand witnesses, of which Pirsig himself through emails or letters.

In each chapter, Richardson tells about his trip, his own life ÔÇô he will be 42 near the end of the trip ÔÇô his relations with his wife and his two sons and of course, PirsigÔÇÖs book and PirsigÔÇÖs biography. This is the parts I appreciated the most. We feel the presence of Pirsig during all his travel.

Is this good reading for a rider? Yes, without any doubt. Nevertheless, it would be difficult to classify it as a ÔÇ£bikerÔÇØ book. However, even on this subject it is interesting, with a few lessons here and there apart from checking the oil and gas regularly.

First, humility, as far as I am concerned. I ride a rather huge BMW (K1100LT) while Richardson did that 2700 miles trip on a very unglamorous, small and light, dual sport single cylinder Suzuki DR600. Very Zen, is it not?

Second: it is best to have a clone of your bike at home from which you can borrow parts (in RichardsonÔÇÖs case ÔÇô a shock absorber and a clutch).

Finally, an AAA membership is not very useful when one has a flat tire.

Hope you will enjoy as much as I did.

By the way, Richardson has a web site for his book: http://www.zenandnow.org/

JPK1100

I read this book a few months ago, and later emailed back and fourth with the author. I was astounded to actually get a response!

very interesting, i'll have to check it out. a friend and i were just discussing ZAMM this past friday. Thanks for the info.

That Pirsig Phase...

.... which, for me, manifested itself in my lone ride in '98 on my /5. Like many others I suspect, I rode the same path (except for that wrong turn in Idaho) and tried stopping in the same places in attempt to sort out some recent personal stuff. The book provided the focused goal that I needed. Kept thinking that five weeks on the road alone would miraculously provide some sort of enlightenment and maybe, just maybe, I would stumble upon an old Wise Man in my travels. Nada. I didn't know then that the process itself was the gift. Listening to the sound of a /5 for 10,000 miles is amazingly meditative. A great teacher (metaphorically) that bike!

However, if that little attempt to track down HS Thompson in Woody Creek had panned out on my way back east I might have found an interesting sidebar to the journey. Thanks very much for the lead on the book. Looking forward to reading what I would like to have written. - Bob

Back