• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

In my opinion you should contact BMW CS via email if you don't wish to speak with them with your choice; the email BMW sent you offer this. Read the email and respond, it may make a difference when your bike is fixed for sure it won't delay it. I would disclose the request for replacement made to your dealer and the date of the request.

Jay

In my opinion you should contact BMW CS via email if you don't wish to speak with them with your choice; the email BMW sent you offer this. Read the email and respond, it may make a difference when your bike is fixed for sure it won't delay it. I would disclose the request for replacement made to your dealer and the date of the request.

Jay

Can anyone out there tell me what the Customer Service E-mail address is. I know I've seen it in the forums but I can't find it. Thanks...

Last edited:
Once again I called and got good (what I hope is good) information.
I've talked to Jay several times and through the luck of the draw I got him again.

Shocks have been in production for about 2 week. He didn't know the exact date. This would explain the production being re-started.
Mid-August was the fix date for me. West Coast gets stuff later than the east typically.
I was told that the option 1 folks are the first priority.

This is just the latest from MY call.
YMMV

I also relayed the info about the unhappy/misinformation/poor customer service/no callback issues on the various forums. They are aware of what's being posted. Myself, I would NOT rely on a timely email to get this resolved.

All I ask is that if you KNOW of anyone, foreign or domestic, that had theirs fixed to PLEASE post it up.

August for replacement shock

Customer Service called this morning to inform me that my replacement shock 'should' be done at the end of August. August!

When I asked about extending the warranty to cover the down time of this recall, that was also a 'precedent that wasn't going to be set'.
The RT is a great bike, but this 3+ month wait for a shock pretty much kills any cross-country trips that were planned this year for this bike. Customer service is pointless because all they can give is the party line regarding this debacle . I had purchased a GS and only kept it for three months because it was not really a comfortable bike for riding two up. I sold the GS for this RT and this RT is what I considered my first BMW. Great bike, but a lousy company for customer relations in that 3 months of no riding is not the way you keep repeat customers.

A good thing my trusty 2005 Road Glide with 86,000 miles is still in the garage. Just got back from a 2,600 mile trip through Utah and Colorado in 100?+ heat and it worked fine with no pinging or heat related problems. This is also the bike that will be going to Michigan September 1st because I really doubt that the RT will be done by then. During the Utah ride I had a chance to share my BMW experience with other riders and one rider is now looking at the FJR and another is considering the FLH instead of the BMW because of the customer service I experienced. The $2500 is a nice gesture, but not extending the warranty to cover the shortened season says a lot about how this company values its customers.

Just frustrated that the amount of time to fix this is so LONG and that it seems like they are just plodding along to get this corrected.

Repurchase

Well, they hauled my RT off today. It seems that we purchase dreams, fantasies that we create and later accomplish. Most of my travel-type fantasies included the RT. But, I'm pretty flexible and I can move on with my Street Glide. It is definitely a different ride. It is running fine, potato, potato, potato. And it has the keyless technology, a 103, and lots of torque.

I hope the repurchase of my RT is smooth. I was told by Jay how to do things. However, I was later told by another customer rep that Jay's instructions wouldn't work. I followed Jay's instructions and I will see what happens.

Like most of you, I hesitate to get attorneys involved. However, legal advise is reasonable for me because a family member is an attorney. I'll give CS another chance with this one.

Ken

I want to thank all of you who sell back or trade your 2014 RTs. This should give me, and others, great opportunities to purchase a lightly used fantastic ride at a deep discount. Excellent job, well done. And thanks again.

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, they hauled my RT off today. It seems that we purchase dreams, fantasies that we create and later accomplish. Most of my travel-type fantasies included the RT. But, I'm pretty flexible and I can move on with my Street Glide. It is definitely a different ride. It is running fine, potato, potato, potato. And it has the keyless technology, a 103, and lots of torque.

I hope the repurchase of my RT is smooth. I was told by Jay how to do things. However, I was later told by another customer rep that Jay's instructions wouldn't work. I followed Jay's instructions and I will see what happens.

Like most of you, I hesitate to get attorneys involved. However, legal advise is reasonable for me because a family member is an attorney. I'll give CS another chance with this one.

Ken

Decided to give it up did ya?

I want to thank all of you who sell back or trade your 2014 RTs. This should give me, and others, great opportunities to purchase a lightly used fantastic ride at a deep discount. Excellent job, well done. And thanks again.

Neil TasteMoringa.com

What makes you think they will have "deep" discounts? With all the good reviews, and after the shock problem is addressed and faded from memory, I would expect them to be in demand.

What makes you think they will have "deep" discounts? With all the good reviews, and after the shock problem is addressed and faded from memory, I would expect them to be in demand.
There have been folks posting that their dealers have already been saying $4000 off MSRP. That would be the typical hit we all take once we ride it off the showroom floor given the 2015s are just around the corner. If my dealer had any kind of decent inventory I'd probably consider a trade but they are a multi-marque dealer and floor a lot of bikes, just not all BMW... those FJRs look pretty inviting.

Neil TasteMoringa.com

That's yet to be seen. Dealers are going to be into these bikes at an odd level. BMW has gone from a 6% credit to 10% last I heard, plus a formula for miles on the buy...this is between dealer and BMWNA, if dealer decides to keep the bike. If dealer doesn't think he can "roll" it for the profit he needs BMW will have to do something else with it...like find a dealer who'll buy the bike. From what I understand, the dealer's may not have as much margin to work with as for any other "used" bike they'd have through a normal trade. '15's are already showing in dealers' allotment inventory, I think first round each dealer gets about two or so. No price yet, only a new blue color, no quartz and another electronic gadget (to go wrong?), keyless.

My dealer just had his last 5 RT's for 2014 go to production and he will not take the "buy-back" models from BMW, if he can't profit on them. He would rather have the new '14 RT's and let BMW do their typical fall/winter corp discounting for him. My guess, it's not a given for cheaper prices on buy-backs, of course only the market will tell.

My salesperson also confirmed that BMW has increased the discount (from 6% to 10%) to dealers who take in 2014 RTs, either through the trade-in option, or the buy-back. He said BMW will credit the dealer 10% against the original invoice and a mileage credit of 2% for every 1000 miles. He also mentioned that BMW will extend any year-end incentives to these bikes as well. And that BMW Financial Services will offer financing at "new bike" rates for the returned RTs.

Most new BMW cars are leased and then returned to the dealers for sale, some of which are certified pre-owned (CPO). BMW has lots of experience in moving inventory around the country and my guess is that they'll do the same with the returned RTs.

I've elected the buy-back option for my 2014 RT and have ordered a 2015. My dealer said he wasn't interested in keeping my RT as he has too many 2014 RTs in his inventory -- these bikes were ordered by customers who subsequently cancelled their order after the Stop Ride was issued. When I asked what will happen to my returned RT, he said that BMW will move that bike to a dealer who wants it.

My salesperson also confirmed that BMW has increased the discount (from 6% to 10%) to dealers who take in 2014 RTs, either through the trade-in option, or the buy-back. He said BMW will credit the dealer 10% against the original invoice and a mileage credit of 2% for every 1000 miles. He also mentioned that BMW will extend any year-end incentives to these bikes as well. And that BMW Financial Services will offer financing at "new bike" rates for the returned RTs.

Most new BMW cars are leased and then returned to the dealers for sale, some of which are certified pre-owned (CPO). BMW has lots of experience in moving inventory around the country and my guess is that they'll do the same with the returned RTs.

I've elected the buy-back option for my 2014 RT and have ordered a 2015. My dealer said he wasn't interested in keeping my RT as he has too many 2014 RTs in his inventory -- these bikes were ordered by customers who subsequently cancelled their order after the Stop Ride was issued. When I asked what will happen to my returned RT, he said that BMW will move that bike to a dealer who wants it.

Sounds like we may have the same dealer....LOL. Bottom line, not sure the buy-back "buys" will be any better than the typical BMW model buys are, when going into the Fall/Winter cycle (pun?).

2015's will be coming out. so they either give discounts OR they up the price on the 2015s. What would you do?

2015's will be coming out. so they either give discounts OR they up the price on the 2015s. What would you do?

This is typical protocol for BMW. Unless a specifc model is a super seller, they routinely discount in the Fall/Winter. Frankly, I'd be more concerned if I owned a K16. When models, such as the K16, are discounted during riding season, as they currently are, market value drops for all the K16's sold previously. It has become even more detrimental for K16 resale values since BMW is giving an the additional $1,000 off in an R1200RT trade-in deal.

Gently used 2014 R1200RT

There have been folks posting that their dealers have already been saying $4000 off MSRP. That would be the typical hit we all take once we ride it off the showroom floor given the 2015s are just around the corner. If my dealer had any kind of decent inventory I'd probably consider a trade but they are a multi-marque dealer and floor a lot of bikes, just not all BMW... those FJRs look pretty inviting.

I for one would be very interested in a slightly used 2014 at a generous discount. Please forward dealers that would like to do a deal.

Rick
Northborough, Ma

2009 R1200Rt

.... And I may step in line.

.... for a "leftover" new '14; or a demo status RTW with the extended warranty that's provided at no fee on those type bikes.
Near end of year, with fresh "clean-slate" 15's sitting across the aisle....the time to deal should be right.

"travel'n" John
13' R12RT

Well, I finally went for option 1. There was never any doubt, as I love the bike. A world of a different machine that my '10 or '11 RT1200!

Back