• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

You are right. When all else fails read the manual, right?

According to the manual, all that is required is for the throttle to be constant during the shift. It says any change in throttle position during the shift can cause the shift assist to "abort" or the shift to fail.

By blipping the throttle, I was changing throttle position. My bad. It can be closed as long as you keep it closed through the shift.

I do agree that once you learn to use it right, it is an amazing feature.

I had read the manual, seen all the posts about it on the Forum and spoke to my dealer about it. He was of two minds - that either mine was defective (which would be the third defect on my R1200RT; the shock, the alarm failed and then the shift assist) or that it was out of adjustment in that it wasn't picking up on my initiation of the shift. I got it to work about 75% of the time - always with constant throttle, never blipping. The GT OtOH shifts smoothly every time! :dance

I'm not sure the insurance companies know what their policy says. Had one poster indicate State Farm says no problem to his "out West" inquiry. Yet, my licensed State Farm agent and the Regional Claims office in Illinois/Indiana area says there would be no coverage...other than comprehensive, for a unit under a no drive order. Who is correct???? I'm thinking Ya don't actually know until there's a claim and all facts come out for lawyers consideration.

It's not whether or not the insurance company knows what their policy says, it what the individual that answers the question knows. If the agent or person in the Regional Claims office doesn't know and doesn't research it, they will always no to a coverage question because if they say yes they have granted coverage regardless of what the policy actually says. If they err, they will err on the side of caution.

Regarding damages and injuries to yourself if you ride and injure yourself because you are riding the bike after BMW instructs you not to do so, you will be up that well known tributary without adequate means of propulsion. You have assumed the risks and you are responsible for what you do to yourself.

I had read the manual, seen all the posts about it on the Forum and spoke to my dealer about it. He was of two minds - that either mine was defective (which would be the third defect on my R1200RT; the shock, the alarm failed and then the shift assist) or that it was out of adjustment in that it wasn't picking up on my initiation of the shift. I got it to work about 75% of the time - always with constant throttle, never blipping. The GT OtOH shifts smoothly every time! :dance

There is a service notice (as opposed to a recall) out on the Shift Assist Pro. The dealer is supposed to make an adjustment on (I believe) a nut in the unit. Mine failed completely, but the dealer said that was a software issue. Hasn't worked as well since the fix but I'll have to wait until it's back on the road to properly test it out.

There is a service notice (as opposed to a recall) out on the Shift Assist Pro. The dealer is supposed to make an adjustment on (I believe) a nut in the unit. Mine failed completely, but the dealer said that was a software issue. Hasn't worked as well since the fix but I'll have to wait until it's back on the road to properly test it out.

That sounds right - the dealer was talking about the adjustment needing to be done. I had an appointment scheduled for my RT's break in service, adjustment on the Shift Assist and repair of the alarm - the date was June 7th. The appointment was canceled for obvious reasons.

My dealer is saying that milage on RT will be prorated if I'm wanting to trade it for a GT. Has anyone else heard this? All I've heard is they were refunding full purchase price.

Put a down payment on a 2014 RT about a week AFTER the "Stop Riding" notice. My dealer and the BMW hotline said they didn't think I would be effected, this was the day I put the payment up. I was concerned that I wouldn't be eligible for the Option A for $2500 that I'm hearing about now. Called BMW today and they said I was effected and wasn't eligible and I told them I'm gonna have to wait a month still, is there nothing they can do. After a 10 minute hold, he came back and said I would be eligible. When I pick up my bike, fill out the form at the dealer and send it in. He said our conversation would be tied to my phone number, so we will see what happens.

BMW said replacement parts have been in production for about a week and our bikes could be back on the road mid-July or August.

Patiently waiting to own my first BMW,
Shawn T

Put a down payment on a 2014 RT about a week AFTER the "Stop Riding" notice. My dealer and the BMW hotline said they didn't think I would be effected, this was the day I put the payment up. I was concerned that I wouldn't be eligible for the Option A for $2500 that I'm hearing about now. Called BMW today and they said I was effected and wasn't eligible and I told them I'm gonna have to wait a month still, is there nothing they can do. After a 10 minute hold, he came back and said I would be eligible. When I pick up my bike, fill out the form at the dealer and send it in. He said our conversation would be tied to my phone number, so we will see what happens.

BMW said replacement parts have been in production for about a week and our bikes could be back on the road mid-July or August.

Shawn T

So, do I understand correctly, the dealer sold you a 2014 RT AFTER the stop riding notice? I thought the do not ride order applied to ALL RT'S because they weren't certain about the safety in any of the rear shocks.

So, do I understand correctly, the dealer sold you a 2014 RT AFTER the stop riding notice? I thought the do not ride order applied to ALL RT'S because they weren't certain about the safety in any of the rear shocks.

Guess you could still buy one, just can't take delivery of it....till fixed.

Shawn T

Would you clarify your statement on the replacement parts being in production. Who exactly said that and to whom? Thanks!

My dealer is saying that milage on RT will be prorated if I'm wanting to trade it for a GT. Has anyone else heard this? All I've heard is they were refunding full purchase price.

No prorating for mileage on my trade in. They credited me the price I paid.

AFTER the notice, I talked to the dealer and put a down payment on a new RT with the dynamic ESA that was bobbing in the Atlantic. That day, the dealer and the BMW Rep at 800-525-7417 said they didn't think my bike had the problem. Yesterday the BMW Rep said my bike was effected, but they wouldn't honor the $2500 option A (only titled bikes), but after further prodding, the rep put me on hold then came back and said they would honor it...for me to fill out a form at dealer when my bike is okay to drive away. Calling again today to make sure that little note is tied to my account.

Would you clarify your statement on the replacement parts being in production. Who exactly said that and to whom? Thanks!

The BMW Rep at the stop riding hotline told me the replacement part has been in production for a week or so, that they would have to ship them everywhere and the dealers install them. Mid July-August.

The BMW Rep at the stop riding hotline told me the replacement part has been in production for a week or so, that they would have to ship them everywhere and the dealers install them. Mid July-August.

Thanks for the reply. I really hope he is right.

Insurance Info

Based on the reports of replacement parts possibly coming in mid-July or August this probably isn't of much interest to most people but I wanted to provide an update on the insurance question. As mentioned earlier, I am planning to go with the Wilbers non-ESA rear shock as an interim solution and asked my insurance agent to clear it with the carrier. They sent the carrier (Encompass) the information regarding the Wilbers unit and my intentions and the carrier replied this morning that replacing the shock was no problem, coverage would continue, and the premium would not change. That's only one carrier and one possible solution but I wanted to let those of you considering an aftermarket shock know what my experience has been.

Isn't there a price difference between the fully equipped GT and The fully equipped RT?

Yes - a big one.

Here's the math from my trade:

$MSRP of GT - ($price I paid for the RT + BMW incentive on GT/GTL + BMW loyalty credit from recall + dealer discount on GT) = $price I paid for the GT.

Since the price I paid for the RT has already been taxed and in my state I pay only the delta between trade-in and new bike, my sales tax on the GT is very low.

Back