• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW F800R arrives Canada in September

mika

Still Wondering
The absolute numbers of BMW Motorrads sold in Canada are not that big, yet they have been steadily growing while other markets like the US have been on the decline. This addition to the line up could mean more posts in the New Member forum could be coming from Canada.

:ca

ÔÇó 09.09.2009
ÔÇó Press Release
Whitby , ON ÔÇô BMW Motorrad Canada is pleased to announce that the much anticipated F800R Sport Roadster will join the F800 Series lineup this fall, arriving in BMW Motorrad retailer showrooms mid-September.

The BMW F800R will launch with an MSRP of $9,990 and be available with a compliment of factory options, including ABS brakes, Tire Pressure Control, On-board computer, Sport windshield, White turn Indicators, and an integral Anti-Theft Alarm system. Both low and high seat options are available at no charge on factory orders.

Launched in Europe in late 2008, the F800R Sport Roadster emulates the mighty K1300R Power Roadster in design and is the fourth model in the evolution of the the F800 Series lineup.

Technical Highlights

ÔÇó The heart of the new F800R is the now familiar 798cc parallel twin shared within the F800 family, rated at 87 bhp @ 8,000 rpm while delivering 86 Nm of torque @ 6,000 rpm. The additional two horsepower, when compared to the other F800 family members, is due to a redesigned exhaust system. The robust powerplant also features intake manifold fuel injection, electronic engine management, oxygen sensor and separate closed-loop 3-way catalytic convertor and secondary air system, for low fuel consumption and optimized emissions.
ÔÇó The F800R has a slightly longer swing double-sided arm (5 cm) cast in light alloy and shorter caster than its (now discontinued in Canada) F800S sibling and reduced spring clearance at both the front and rear, along with a fork stabiliser to provide even better stability and agility.
ÔÇó In keeping with its pure Sport Roadster nature, and unlike its F800S and ST brethren, the F800R incorporates an O-ring chain secondary drive.
ÔÇó With 320-millimetre brake discs and Brembo 4-piston fixed brake calipers at the front wheel, and a 265 mm rear discs with a single-piston floating calliper, the F800R brake systems emulates that of high-displacement sportbikes. The new F800R ABS system, engineered in cooperation with Bosch, has been further developed and it now also has an improved lift-off detection system for the rear wheel.
ÔÇó Gears ratios in the F800R gearbox are identical to the F800S and ST from first through third gear, with shorter gearing in fourth through sixth gears.
ÔÇó Contributing to the excellent handling dynamics of the F800R are balanced weight distribution and a fully-fueled weight of only 204 kg (unladen 182 kg.).
ÔÇó The F800R wears the same ÔÇ£SpeedÔÇØ-style wheels as the F800S ÔÇô with a 3.5 x 17ÔÇØ front rim wearing a 120/70 ZR tire, with a 5.5 X 17ÔÇØ wheel sporting a 180/55 ZR 17 tire.
ÔÇó Asymmetrical H7 headlights echo the design of its K1300R Power Roadster sibling.

ÔÇó As introduced with the new K1300 Series bikes, the F800R incorporates new compact MID (Moulded Interconnected Devices) technology, highlighted by a left-handlebar multifunction signal switch.
ÔÇó Three dynamic paint finishes are available for the F800R: White Aluminum Metallic, Flame Orange and Alpine White/Black Silk ÔÇô all in combination with a black seat.

Chris Pfeiffer Special Edition

Chris PfeifferÔÇÖs name has been synonymous with the BMW F800, as it has been his mount of choice as he defended his World and European Stunt-Riding Championships for four consecutive seasons. In recognition of ChrisÔÇÖs outstanding achievements with the F800, BMW Motorrad has developed a Chris Pfeiffer Special Edition of the new F800R, which integrates a special factory-team paint scheme and a list of special equipment, including:

ÔÇó Akrapović?« rear silencer for a dynamic appearance and a sporty sound.
ÔÇó Rear strut spring finished in red.
ÔÇó Painted pillion passenger seat cover.
ÔÇó Highly unique visual appearance with paint finish in the BMW Motorsport colours of Alpine White non-metallic, Lupine Blue metallic and Magma Red non-metallic, contrasting with elements in black silk matt.
ÔÇó Front wheel finished in white.
ÔÇó Clear overpainted Chris Pfeiffer signature on the central cover.
ÔÇó Set of sponsor stickers supplied.
ÔÇó No cockpit fairing.
ÔÇó LED direction indicators.

The Chris Pfeiffer Special Edition will command a premium of $1,350 with an MSRP of $11,340 and be available in limited quantities.

That's unfortunate.

have you seen the front end?

Johnny_5.jpg

it's a shame bmw no longer builds attractive motorcycles (R1200S kinda excluded)

Ah the nattering nabobs of negativism are up early for a Friday.

That's unfortunate.

Why? Just wondering where’s your documentation to support your belief? :ha

have you seen the front end?

it's a shame bmw no longer builds attractive motorcycles (R1200S kinda excluded)

When did you start channeling grumpy old design critics? While I agree the Duc is yummy but for all the yammaring about wanting bikes with elegant lines that harken back to designs of yesterday they have no sold well. Like it or not we are in a lego design phase that is gaining market share.

That whole headlight/pod assembly simply looks like something that should be there, fell off. Strange how the K1200R can look so badass and this F800R can look so, well, incomplete.

bmw_k1200r.jpg

Even tweaking (aka photochopping) the cluster/screen a bit IMO would be a vast improvement:
f800r.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like just so many other Japanese bikes. The mid sized bike segment of the market seems to be targeted to the wannebe racers, and all the bikes look pretty similar.

Just reminds me of trying to distinguish one brand of econobox from another at 200 feet. Can't tell the brand let alone the model.

I'm sorry John, but I have to go with Derek and Ted on this one. Ugly design is ugly design no matter the market share and despite what critics say in favor or against it.

However, the K1200R and the F800R remind me less of Lego and more of...

futurama_bender-753559.jpg

:laugh

I'm sorry John, but I have to go with Derek and Ted on this one. Ugly design is ugly design no matter the market share and despite what critics say in favor or against it.

:laugh

I'm sorry Jon, I don't mean to be a BMW sycophant but I am a little sick of the trash BMW talk. Its a bloody European company and bike. Like it or not your stuck with European design sensibilities that they and there dealers world wide are able to sell and make a buck. When it suited us we purchased their products. So get a grip they didn't design and build this one for us. Given the choice between the F bike and Bubba's Duc I would take the Duc. The Duc's design appeals to me while the F_R does not. So what. If they can make a living and in the process continue to sell models that do appeal to me great.

The one thing of interest raised by the nattering nabobs was Teds comment on the o ring chain. I truly am curious about what issues he sees with that. The rest strikes me as the repetitive grumpy crap that has become the fair of the day so often around here.

I'm sorry Jon, I don't mean to be a BMW sycophant but I am a little sick of the trash BMW talk. Its a bloody European company and bike. Like it or not your stuck with European design sensibilities that they and there dealers world wide are able to sell and make a buck. When it suited us we purchased their products. So get a grip they didn't design and build this one for us. Given the choice between the F bike and Bubba's Duc I would take the Duc. The Duc's design appeals to me while the F_R does not. So what. If they can make a living and in the process continue to sell models that do appeal to me great.

The one thing of interest raised by the nattering nabobs was Teds comment on the o ring chain. I truly am curious about what issues he sees with that. The rest strikes me as the repetitive grumpy crap that has become the fair of the day so often around here.
Why don't you lighten up a bit John. This is only a forum. Not the World Court. We're only expressing our opinions, making some lighthearted comparisons and no one here has resorted to any name calling.

If I disagree with someone I'm not going to use phrases like "nattering nabobs" and "grumpy old critics".

Last edited:
I mentioned the chain because without exception everyone I have talked to who owns an F800 ST or S absolutely LOVES the belt drive. I hated chains and the associated cleaning, lubing, adjusting, and frequent replacing (along with $$ sprockets) - it is one of the big reasons back in 1994 I got rid of my UJB and, knowing full well the requirement to lube splines every few years, bought my first BMW.

While I am sure it would not be a good solution for a lot of BMWs like the heavy GS and LT bikes, I would think in this case it would have been particularly well suited.

The rest strikes me as the repetitive grumpy crap that has become the fair of the day so often around here

Personally I am disappointed with it, it looks like a half-assed design and a real discredit to BMW's frequently cutting edge creations. The other thing that pushed me to BMW was seeing a K1, I will never forget stopping in my tracks and standing there with mouth agape in awe of that bike the first time I saw one. I would bet others are in the same boat -- not blindly dissing BMW but expressing some real disappointment that they lost a great opportunity to come up with something really cool.

I mentioned the chain because without exception everyone I have talked to who owns an F800 ST or S absolutely LOVES the belt drive. I hated chains and the associated cleaning, lubing, adjusting, and frequent replacing (along with $$ sprockets) - it is one of the big reasons back in 1994 I got rid of my UJB and, knowing full well the requirement to lube splines every few years, bought my first BMW.

While I am sure it would not be a good solution for a lot of BMWs like the heavy GS and LT bikes, I would think in this case it would have been particularly well suited.

Thanks Ted, that clarifies and explains your original comment. I missed the change when I glanced over the press release before posting it.

Personally I am disappointed with it, it looks like a half-assed design and a real discredit to BMW's frequently cutting edge creations. The other thing that pushed me to BMW was seeing a K1, I will never forget stopping in my tracks and standing there with mouth agape in awe of that bike the first time I saw one. I would bet others are in the same boat -- not blindly dissing BMW but expressing some real disappointment that they lost a great opportunity to come up with something really cool.

Why don't you lighten up a bit John. This is only a forum. Not the World Court. We're only expressing our opinions, making some lighthearted comparisons and no one here has resorted to any name calling.

If I disagree with someone I'm not going to use phrases like "nattering nabobs" and "grumpy old critics".

The design opportunity ship sailed over a year ago. This is not a new model, it is one that has been on sale in other markets for over a year. When it was originally released I posted the release and picutres and the bike's design was universally dissed then. I didn't like it then and still don't like it. My sentiments run along Ted's lines. But quoting Charlie Brown in the comic strip Peanuts "Good Grief" the bikes a year old in the market. Can't we come up with new material in a year?

'Lighten up", quoting Spiro T Agnew by calling out the 'nattering nabobs of negativism' will generally draw smirks and bring a discussion back to more salient points, such as Ted's observation about the switch to chain from belt drive, where I hang out in the real world and is not generally considered name calling; so Jon I was lightening up compared to what my real reaction to what I have read in this and several other threads this morning.

With all the moderators in the house please feel free to deleate this thread because frankly I am sorry I ever posted the news piece. Have to leave the world court and go back to the real world. Ciao!

There are a lot of bike from a lot of manufacturers that I would never buy because they don't suit my taste. Still they sell well to other buyers who do like them. This is one of those bikes made for buyers other than us traditional BMW types.

I don't dislike it so much as I just don't find myself drawn to it. Neither am I interested in any of the naked bikes in the BMW line, styling aside.

If I could own a multitude of bikes, this might find it's way into my garage, just as a K1200R might have. Unfortuneatly, I only have one bike, so I want something with at least some wind protection, thus the K12S. I like the looks of the headlight, it could use a fly screen, like some of the other street fighters, but that will eventually be an option, at least aftermarket. Obviously, I am not a traditional Beemerfile, just a guy who loves bikes and is on his third BMW. The proof is in the sales, so if it doesn't sell, some of you guys will be proven to be right.

The F800R is a naked bike and for my money the naked bike class is the most difficult class to come up with a winning design that captures riderÔÇÖs imagination.

TedÔÇÖs original comment was cryptic and did not give any indication of the concerns and reasons his later comment made. From a Roadster riders perspective the chain may not have the advantages that belt drive owners love but may work better for that slice of the market. Roadster riders spend most of their time on the road but are not above following others on off road adventures that leave people scratching their heads. It is part of the beauty of owning a Roadster model. Belts for the road but chains are the preferred drive for off road. So I agree with Ted to a point but in the end the chain is no big deal for me.

The esthetic critics that have been offered up have been around since the asymmetrical headlights first showed up on the K1200R. They have not been well received in NA in general and not at all in posts on the forum. The cartoon comparisons have been around for years and at best were predictable at worst were trite and boring. My opinion.

BubbaÔÇÖs Ducati offering for comparison is a Ducati but not a naked bike rather it is a retro caf?® model. It sports an iconic ?? fairing and so avoids the whole headlight debate. Apples and oranges may both be fruit but they are very different kinds of fruit.

To his credit the yummy Ducati offers some other styling comparisons that for my money the BMW struggles with.

TedÔÇÖs offering is a comparison K_R. The small fly screen offers an addition that takes the edge off the headlight arrangement. It will undoubtedly offer a styling queue to F_R owners will explore in the BMW accessory/parts bin or in the after market.

Tank ÔÇô The Ducati again has an iconic tank shape that we instantly recognize and have an affinity for. The BMWÔÇÖs false tank has potential that is not taken advantage of. Instead it is basically the same shape and does nothing to really set it apart.

Suspension / wheels - The KÔÇÖs durolever suspension adds an element that both the F and Ducati lack. To my mind this puts more importance on the designers wheel selection. The BMW alloy wheel is nice; however, I would love to see it shod with wire wheels. Chrome or painted to my eye naked bikes, Roadsters in particular, scream to be shod with wire wheels. I wish my R_R had them but the aftermarket cost was beyond my willingness to part with money.

Engines ÔÇô This is one of the most difficult areas for a naked bike designer to deal with. They are stuck with what the engineering guys give them. The F engine has much to be said for it mechanically. From an esthetic stand point it has an institutional piece of machinery look to it and lacks the sex appeal that would make it an engine picture Bike Candy offering. The K_R engine is massive by comparison and what it may lack in engine sex appeal in a naked bike it makes up in the sense of power it exudes. The modern Duc is not without its flaws. While it is a lovely V twin and makes that heavenly Ducati type sound it has all the sex appeal of a Cuisinart design when compared to the bevel drive twins of old.

The rest of the stuff ÔÇô The K_R blends together in a muscular bad boy look that works for it. The F_R has frame and under seat tank elements that work on the other bikes but in a naked bike lack a theme for me. Individually they work but as a combination they donÔÇÖt seem to pull together like they do on the other F models. The Pfeiffer factory edition may be an exception to this. It may be a sales leader in the specific model or lead standard edition buyers to spend a bit of money on a special paint scheme.

Will it sell? I donÔÇÖt know. For me that decision is made from the saddle. From there you donÔÇÖt see most of what the rest of us take issue with. Those things make the bike different than the majority of bikes you will meet on the road and that is appeal that has in part led many of us to buy any BMW model in the past. Roadster riders tend to look at their bikes not as finished from the factory but as canvases for us to finish with farkles and modifications to make it our own bike. If the view from the saddle works for enough riders it will sell as well as any Roadster model has in the modern era. That bodes well for the Canadian market dealers and as a result the Canadian BMW rider of any model. If they make money they are in a better position to support the rest of the line up.

Opinions are great. We all have them. I support people expressing their opinions. The funny thing is the opinions I am told to lighten up on and mine are not very different if at all. For me there is a fine line between expressing your opinion and bashing. The cryptic comment seemed negative bashing until it was explained with sound reasoning. The various design comments at this date are canned comments that have been with us since the day the first K_R with asymmetrical headlights was introduced by BMW. We donÔÇÖt allow bashing people on the forum but we engage in a self loathing form of BMW bashing all the time and today in a thread I started I took issue with it. Silly me by now I expected more from a forum discussion on BMW design.

Just my opinion, YMMV

And yet people buy GS bikes like they are going out of style.

The only bike that does not look good to me is the one that is not being ridden.

Back