• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Dynamic Brake Light Question

irish

Registered Schmoozer
This system sounds really interesting to me from a safety perspective:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/2015/bmw-dynamic-brake-light.htm

I have Hyperlight brake lights currently, but what intrigues me about the new BMW system is that is activates the hazard lights as well in certain situations. I normally try to do that both in cars and bikes when I have to slow suddenly from higher speeds, to warn traffic behind me. I would love a system that does that automatically. It looks like this is being rolled out on some 2016 models. I am in the market for a wethead but will probably be getting a 2013-2014 to save money. Does anyone know of a way to get this system on these models? Is there an aftermarket system that works well and does something similar?

...that it activates the hazard lights as well in certain situations. I normally try to do that both in cars and bikes when I have to slow suddenly from higher speeds, to warn traffic behind me.

So you're the guy ahead who confuses me as to what your intentions are. You already have Hyperlites, why would you need to activate hazard lights as well? Not trashing you, just curious. And is BMW rolling out another answer to a question which was never asked by activating hazard lights under 10 mph?

Many years ago a politician was pushing the (bad) idea of having a yellow tail light on cars activate whenever one's foot was lifted of the accelerator. Can you imagine the light show and mass confusion which would have ensued had that law gone forward?

I try to manually activate my hazards in those rare circumstances when I am at a complete or nearly complete stop when the traffic behind me is going highway speeds. For example, driving back from Chicago on I-90 and a truck lost it's load all over the highway right in front of me. I had to brake to a near stop and move all the way to the right. As soon as I was finished with my evasive maneuvers I manually activated my hazards to alert traffic behind me that was closing rapidly. The truck was carrying what looked like hundreds of small (about 8") metal spheres that would not necessarily be visible to cars behind me. It would have been great to have a system that did this for me and BMW's new system appears to be designed with that in mind. I think this is part of the reason for hazard lights existing anyway, they just automated it. They only would activate in scenarios like the one above (slowing from 50 km/hr to less than 14 km/hr according to the article). Although admittedly I would probably want the upper speed threshold to be higher.

Dynamic Brake Light

I have a 2016 S1000XR that was advertised to come with the dynamic brake light.

I found out the system was not approved by the USDOT , FMVSS, so all bikes going to the USA do not have this feature. Kind of like how the small LED turn signals and tail light is changed for US distribution.

The guys in Europe seem to like the lights, but not for us. You might check with your dealer to verify if it will be included.

An Oldie but Goodie!

So you're the guy ahead who confuses me as to what your intentions are. You already have Hyperlites, why would you need to activate hazard lights as well? Not trashing you, just curious. And is BMW rolling out another answer to a question which was never asked by activating hazard lights under 10 mph?

Many years ago a politician was pushing the (bad) idea of having a yellow tail light on cars activate whenever one's foot was lifted of the accelerator. Can you imagine the light show and mass confusion which would have ensued had that law gone forward?

Red for braking, amber for decelerating. Heard about that back in the 60's or 70's.

I always thought it was a great idea. Any change will confuse 3% of the population for the rest of their lives :) of course.

I let a bus get out in front of me (as is the law here in Ontario). Must have been unusual since the driver put on his hazard lights. It means thank you. Now, this I learned in South Africa, circa 2008, but I figure I might have figured it out the other day.

Now I wonder what light show a Ducati might display under full acceleration! Probably a battery draw near half the starter motor!

Back