• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Birmingham Boy Scouts Need Your Support After the Storms

t2moyer

MOA Life Member
Staff member
This is a bit of a shameless plug, but the cause is worthy. My son is an 11 year old Boy Scout with Troop 23 in Birmingham, Alabama. These young men actually manage themselves and decide where and how they should participate in their community and the latest decision has been made to be involved in the clean up and rebuilding of some of the harder hit areas in Alabama following the April 27, 2011 storms.

You all have probably seen the news about Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, but you might not have seen some of the footage from areas in northeast Alabama, like Pisgah and Flat Rock. They were actually hit with two tornadoes on the same day. It is a very rural area of Alabama and they were just about wiped off the map. If you have been here for the Chicken Rally, these areas are about 40 miles east of the park where the Chicken Rally is held.

Boy Scout Troop 23 has offered to help these small towns with clean up and rebuilding efforts. On Saturday, June 4th, the entire Troop will travel the few hours north from Birmingham to deliver $25 Wal-Mart gift cards to people that have been affected by the storms. The Troop will also spend Saturday helping with the clean up efforts, removing debris and identifying future rebuilding projects where they can be involved. The Troop could use your support with a donation of a $25 Wal-Mart gift card.

The gift cards collected between now and June 4th will all be distributed in Pisgah and the surrounding areas of Jackson County by the local Boy Scouts Troops. If you have the ability to help this team of young men, it would be greatly appreciated. You can order Wal-Mart gift cards online and have the cards shipped anywhere. Or pick up a $25 gift card during your next shopping trip and drop it in the mail. Any gift cards or donations can be mailed to:

BSA Troop 23
c/o Grayson Moyer
2539 John Hawkins Parkway
Suite 101-111
Birmingham, AL 35244

You can also send $25 via paypal to ted@motografixx.com and I will donate the processing fees paypal charges and buy the gift cards for the troop. I'll be glad to post an official count with first name and last initial of donors or provide a receipt from the BSA so that you know your money went to the right place.

Anything you do really can help. In the big scheme of things, the $25 is a couple of Rally t-shirts or a few Superstakes tickets and I promise you it can go a long way to helping some of these folks. Thank you for entertaining this post. I am very impressed with this group of young men and what the Boy Scouts can do when they put forth the effort. I am on my way to Wal-Mart to buy gift cards of my own for the Troop!

:thumb

Thank you very much for your support. We are leaving tonight for a weekend campout and the Troop will be making some plans this weekend of how they will help the affected areas. Grayson is working hard to spread the word and collect some donations.

We have made some plans to document the Troop's efforts and report back to all who donate. Thanks again!

Thank You!

Thanks for the additional donation. I donated ten gift cards and hopefully we can twist a few arms here before we distribute the gift cards on June 4th. (We sold 18,000 Superstakes tickets. Surely we can raise 20 or 30 gift cards for these folks that could really use it.) Our Scoutmaster is already bragging that he has 26 gift cards in the bag!

The Scouts plan to spend all day on June 4th supporting the clean up effort. The older guys will actually haul trash, remove debris, etc. The younger guys will have to distribute water, supplies, etc. because of age restrictions. Either way, the local Scout Troop has plans to stay involved through the clean up effort.

As a side note, Discovery Channel has created a documentary on all the 2011 tornadoes and there is quite a bit of raw footage from the storms in Alabama. It is some unbelievable footage from the storms.

Thanks again for everyone's help. The Scouts greatly appreciate your support.

These guys got a good workout.

I promised an update when the event was complete. It was actually a week ago, but we had been on vacation for a week.

Troop 23 spent the day clearing 11 downed trees from a man's yard in Pisgah, AL. The gentleman named Mr. Gray is a life long farmer in the area and lost an adult daughter in the storm. She was actually the first person killed in Alabama on the 27th, or at least that is how the story was told to me. It was 97+ degree heat that day and 17 Scouts and 10 dads worked to clear all the trees from Mr. Gray's property.

That was no small feat, but what be even more impressive was the 165 Wal-Mart gift cards that were collected and donated by the Scouts. Our patrol finished second with 36 cards collected and MOA members were a part of that. I thank you all for your generosity.

In all, Scout Troop 23 donated $4,125 to the Pisgah Red Cross last Saturday and there are 11 big brush piles waiting for a really good bonfire. Those trees were no less than 24" across at the base. They were some big trees!

A couple of pictures from the day. Thanks again to everyone who donated or send a gift card. Folks all over Alabama can certainly use it.

Attachments

• P6040678.JPG
    P6040678.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 22
Back