• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

better leg/arm protection

testinglogin

Hogaan!
There is a LOT of good gear out there for protection from road rash, back injuries, head injuries, general "torso injuries", and even better foot/ankle protection. The one thing that hasn't seemed to advance is better leg/arm protection. Aside from knee pads and elbow pads, our extremities are otherwise unprotected from blunt force trauma. As a good example; an accident with a car pulling out in front of you leading to two broken legs (below the knee) as you hit the car and go over the top. Is there any gear out there to prevent this, short of some suit of armor? I see inflatable jackets; do they help protect the arms, or still just the chest/neck? Should I hire some people for an R&D department and start producing my own? :)

R&d!

Motorcycling is never going to be a 100% safe pastime, danger (and the management thereof) is part of the fun. But I'll be interested in whatever your research turns up.

This? No, it isn't me.

Attachments

• SuperhF54631.jpg
    SuperhF54631.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 201
It IS a motorcycle, after all...

Riding a motorcycle will always leave the rider more exposed than someone riding/driving in a cage. Unfortunately, broken limbs can be the result of accidents. I'm sure that vendors or individuals could design gear that would make a rider more indestructible, but at what cost? Would you still be able to move freely? Would you still have decent sight lines? Would you still enjoy the experience of riding a motorcycle?

As stated, good jackets and pants have armor and padding, which could help in a getoff, but not necessarily save you from any injury. I think there's a point where you have to understand that having the ultimate protection would be akin to riding in a car. So, you compromise, and risk a possible serious injury.

Back