• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best bikes between 2013 and 2019 for r1200rt

Get the newest one that’s with in your budget. I would go for 2017 to 2019 as BMW Perfected hill start, pro shift etc. With the state of things right now I bet there will some good deals coming along.

I'd suggest looking for a 2017 or 2018. An upgrade to the drivetrain in 2017 included a judder damper and transmission changes that improved the shifting.

In 2019 the model rolled to the R1250RT. It's a terrific bike and most folks like the new engine but I'd suggest avoiding it until the issue with the Hayes brake leaks get resolved.

Good luck with your search!

Looking for a R1200rt between 2013 and 2019. Want to know opinions.

Welcome to the forum. If you are just starting your research, you should be aware that the range of model years you mention include 3 different engines. The 2013 model is an oil-cooled 1200cc engine, the 2014-2108 models are water-cooled 1200cc engines, and the 2019 model is a water-cooled 1250cc engine with variable valve timing. Each has its advantages. As Stooie mentioned, the 2017-2018 models had a mid-cycle improvement in the transmission design, but otherwise are very similar to the 2014-2016 models.

I waited until the 2017 model was available as slightly-used, and avoided the first-year depreciation in value. If I were buying today, I would do the same thing, and find an almost-new R1250RT. The reports are that the 1250 engine is awesome. What's not to like about awesome?

Cap

You might consider looking for an '18 RT. It was the last year of the 1200, and came with Brembo brakes. Since it was the last year of the 1200, BMW "should" have worked out most of the bugs, but time will tell. The '19 should be a great bike, but was the first year for the new engine.

E.

Last edited:
I have these two. Both are awesome.

1200-head.jpg

Demo?

I have a 2016 1200 RT, it was a demo model, and I'm really happy with it.

I do my own work with help from a JVB video and Haynes manual. But if I were in your shoes, and wanted a 1200, I'd probably go with the latest model year that I could find.

I'd suggest looking for a 2017 or 2018. An upgrade to the drivetrain in 2017 included a judder damper and transmission changes that improved the shifting.

In 2019 the model rolled to the R1250RT. It's a terrific bike and most folks like the new engine but I'd suggest avoiding it until the issue with the Hayes brake leaks get resolved.

Good luck with your search!
Good Info...thanks

Get the newest one that’s with in your budget. I would go for 2017 to 2019 as BMW Perfected hill start, pro shift etc. With the state of things right now I bet there will some good deals coming along.

What changes were made to "Hill Start Assist" over the 2016 model RT?

What changes were made to "Hill Start Assist" over the 2016 model RT?

I had a 2016 RT and now have a 2019 RT. I believe the difference in the HSA is that the newer bike has HSA Pro, which automatically sets the HSA on hills where the angle is a certain degree. I turn that off as I prefer the standard HSA mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking for a R1200rt between 2013 and 2019. Want to know opinions.

Besides the platform of the bike in a particular year there are options to be aware of that not all bikes have. I have seen some listed that do not have the sound system, keyless ride, ESA, TPMS and so on. If you find the year you like be sure to check what it has in these terms to make sure you get everything you want. Some options can be retrofitted but many cannot if they didn't come on the bike from the factory. If you buy an older one the cost will be less and used parts become more widely available since people wreck them, vs. new part prices from the dealer which can be quite scary sometimes. Older RT's (in my opinion) are less expensive and perhaps a little less complex, but if you aren't doing your own wrenching could be costly to have the dealer work on for you. The good news is that most people who buy these bikes new take very good care of them, keep them garaged, maintained and so on so you should have a good selection to choose from. Check out the Marketplace, lots to look at there. I have a nice 2012 RT for sale....!

Back