• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Tender Question

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
2000 I bought a RT, dealer said use an OPTIMATE tender they're the best and will analyze the battery. OK used it faithfully never an issue, 2009 got an LT dealer says don't use OPTIMATE you have to use a BMW battery tender, I called OPTIMATE they said no problem use the OPTIMATE I did faithfully never a problem. Just got a 2016 GTL, plugged in the OPTIMATE and the light that indicates charging does not come on, usually orange to green (full) red trouble. So I'm not using it right now....do I have to get the BMW model?

Your 2000RT and 2009LT did not have Canbus and your K1600 does.
You can add a pigtail direct to the K1600 battery and use that to connect your charger.

Last edited:
Your 200RT and 2009LT did not have Canbus and your K1600 does.
You can add a pigtail direct to the K1600 battery and use that to connect your charger.

Thank you I just read about that on an Amazon review. So far I learned that the two accessory plugs on my 2016 GTL cannot be used for a battery tender or heated clothing......so what are they for?.....my cell phone?

Thank you I just read about that on an Amazon review. So far I learned that the two accessory plugs on my 2016 GTL cannot be used for a battery tender or heated clothing......so what are they for?.....my cell phone?

On my 2011 K1300S the shop connected my OEM plug directly to the battery with a BMW harness.
On my 2016 R1200RS the shop added a pigtail to the battery. I do not use the OEM plug for anything.

I have a 2016 K1600GT since November 16, 2016. For the battery charger I use a C-Tek battery charger and installed a pigtail directly to the battery. With C-Tek quick disconnect, it is easy to use and I have attached the pigtail to the square frame below the seat so it is easily accessed without removing anything.

As for the accessory plugs, I use the one on the right front for my heated vest and gloves without problems.

Robert

Battery tender connected directly to the battery; no problem.

I don't want to install another plug....just use the 2 BMW plugs that are there........really, if I'm told don't plug in your heated gear what are they there for?

I don't want to install another plug....just use the 2 BMW plugs that are there........really, if I'm told don't plug in your heated gear what are they there for?

Anything and everything you wish just as long as it draws less than the maximum allowable amperage.

Ask your dealer to connect the two OEM plugs direct to the battery like I did on my 2011 K1300S. BMW used to sell a kit for this.
I did not go this route on my R1200RS because I did not think I would like a plug on the right side of the bike for my heated gear.

update power plug and seat 2016 GTL

Just took a ride with BMW "high" seat. Excellent change sitting higher and not as folded up sitting. At stops a more straight leg foot flat on pavement. Also plugged heated jacket and gloves into front right stock plug with good results. Gloves did not seem to warm up as much as jacket, ran heated seat and grips also as a test.
Passenger foot peg my wife and I logged 44K miles on an LT, the LT foot pegs are bigger. Is there a larger GTL passenger foot peg, without going to footboard? Its not a matter of riding foot comfort, its mounting....like a horse left foot on left peg throw leg over with a boot on she feels like its not a solid tread. Is there a bigger peg, but not a footboard?

Also plugged heated jacket and gloves into front right stock plug with good results. Gloves did not seem to warm up as much as jacket,
I'm surprised that plug did not shut down. Normally a heated jacket and gloves are too much for the OEM plug.
I think the plug has a 5 Amp limit.
What brand of jacket and gloves do you have?

I'm surprised that plug did not shut down. Normally a heated jacket and gloves are too much for the OEM plug.
I think the plug has a 5 Amp limit.
What brand of jacket and gloves do you have?

Gerbings...

Gerbings...

Maybe BMW has raised the 5 Amp limit for the plug on the K1600s. :dunno

I went to the garage and tried my Gerbing jacket connected to the OEM plug on my 2016 R1200RS and it will not work.

Back