• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bakup backrest for R1200RT LC?

PoorUB

Anyone have any experience with one? I liked having a back rest on my Harley, but with the different seating position on the RT I wondered if it is even usable. Also the construction of the backrest does not look very solid. Also my wife misses the backrest in between us. Probably more in her head, be she feels more secure with the backrest.

Back Up backrest

I have a Back Up backrest and love it. Rode to Alaska a couple of years ago without one and just leaned against my duffel bag, but I missed the support when not traveling with camping gear. Now I have that support all the time and it makes putting my feet on my Ilium highway pegs even more comfortable.

Bob

Back Up backrest

I have a Back Up backrest and love it. Rode to Alaska a couple of years ago without one and just leaned against my duffel bag, but I missed the support when not traveling with camping gear. Now I have that support all the time and it makes putting my feet on my Ilium highway pegs even more comfortable.

Bob

BakUp backrest R1200RT

I have one also, been across country twice... LOVE IT..! A wee bit pricey for
what it is but heck... you can't take it with you! :)

I have one also, been across country twice... LOVE IT..! A wee bit pricey for
what it is but heck... you can't take it with you! :)

Every thing that works well and we love is pricey. Get used to that fact! Crap is cheap. Quality not so much. YMMV

I ordered the Bakup and it showed up yesterday. Lets just say I am less than satisfied. I was wondering how stiff the backrest frame could be just made from sheet metal. The only support is the passenger seat. On my Harley I can lean back and put all my weight against the backrest and it barely moves. With the Backup I barely lean against it and it just leans back farther with me. Beings it is the only game in town, other than ordering a complete aftermarket seat of their backrest I suppose I will keep it, but I figure I will be messing around with it to stiffen it up some how. Perhaps my tune will change when I take it for a ride.

I ordered a back rest from RDL and am very happy with it! They covered it with the same material and texture (basket weave!) as my seats and it looks and works great! I have trouble bending my right leg enough to straddle the bike when the back rest is up or any luggage is strapped to the back of the bike but the back rest folds down, making it easy to throw my leg over it! With it folded down, the seat cover still works great too!:bikes:ca

I went with Utopia out of Ohio. Very large and adjustable. Install was labor intensive. You pretty much have to cut holes in the passenger seat. Final product looks great though. You do have to re-learn how to get on and off the bike with the backrest in the way. https://www.utpr.com/

got the backup and have 12k on it. Easy install and adjusts easily with a knurled screw. Plenty of support .

Back