• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bad coffee and butts...

B

Bruce_H

In February I fell down somewhere south of Crater Lake. Don't know what happened, on the pavement un-able to get up. It hurt like hell so I wasn't dead. At some point someone came along and help me to get up, picked up my bike and helped me get on. I just wanted to go home. I stopped at a country store and asked if they would tie up the light that was hanging by its wires. Someone wanted to call an ambulance. Thank You, no. It hurt too much to get off. I rode a hundred and fifty miles before stopping at a friends house. I couldn't raise my arms off the bars so just wiggled my finger and then laid down on the tank bag, did I mention it hurt? In a few hours my wife came to pick me up. Went to the ER next day, wouldn't want to rush it would you? Five broken ribs, separated shoulder, broken finger and something was wrong with my ankle but I didn't mention it, there were enough other problems.

Now seven weeks later... It was a low speed fall, the bike faired better than I did. A few scratches, windshield and turn signal. My can of bear spray was in a pannier outboard of the tank crash bar, the bike slid down the road on that. Sure glad it didn't puncture.

Went for a first ride yesterday, gear-up at 5:30 in the morning. Leaving before day light usually means there is little traffic and would allow me to test my new Piaa bulbs (ordered before the fall). Not as much light as I had with the original bulbs but half the power needed to run them. I also tested out the latest BMW fuel gauge repair... NOT. After all of that it works just the same. (also before the fall) I filled with three bars showing, used 3 gallons of gas. Later in the day with two bars showing it used 3.9 gallons of gas. What about the other 4.8 gallons? In any case 275 miles for the day. Lyn and Reychal were at a double header soft ball game in Rockaway so I was on my own, didn't fall down!...

A little cool for the start 32/34 degrees until after breakfast in Winchester Bay. I did that all winter and am ready for some warmer temperatures. My shoulder got tired, guess that will take some warming up to. I stopped along the road near the Coquille River Lighthouse, laid down in the ditch and took a nap, way nice. The sun was sort of out so I took my shoes and socks off, unzipped my riding pants and folded up my jacket for a pillow. I have a small nylon cover I use against the ground. How nice is that?... For a brief moment on the return thru Coos Bay my temperature gauge read 64 degrees, didn't last but also didn't rain before I got home.

This ride was about lighthouses and to see if'in I still knew how to pilot this voyager. Somewhere I read a sign that said Oregon has eight light houses, I can think of nine, wonder who proof read that sign. I passed a fourth lighthouse at Heceta Head but the photo light was terrible so didn't stop. Cape Arago is a tough one as there are no public visitors allowed.The other two you can drive right up. Good flowers weren't easy to find. I tried sea birds but they didn't work out so well, can't walk on water. I didn't have an agenda for this ride so besides the photos and breakfast I managed a stop at two coffee shops as well. Always nice to ride in civilization, most places I ride there isn't anything. The cowboys in "cowboy land" can't make coffee anyway, theirs taste like it was run thru a dish rag or else they droped in the butts. No Starbucks.

I thought about riding up the river on my return to visit the friends who helped however by then my shoulder was not liking things. Instead of pushing it decided to stop by another weekend. I still hope to do a Death Valley ride this month, if the snow quits. Hope my shoulder gets happy. I did buy a warmer tent, don't know how sleeping on the ground will be.

Guess cowboys are tougher than me, bad coffee and butts or not...

Bruce

Umpqua Lighthouse, Reedsport, Oregon

04_10_100022.jpg

Cape Arago Lighthouse, near Charleston, Oregon

04_10_100192.jpg

Coquille River Lighthouse, Bandon, Oregon

04_10_100853.jpg

didn't have to walk on water for this flower

04_11_100062.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

It's hard to keep a good man down, glad to hear you and the moto are on the mend :thumb

Good to hear you got back on the horse that threw you! And, that you're okay. Great photos.

JD

Back