• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Backfires !

old fa_t
I have a problem with a 06 GS I put on a Remus header on the stock muffler. It sounds great but it backfires a lot. I have tightened up all I know. HELP

My experience has been that the bike backfires when shifted into a lower gear and slowing but the throttle isn't all the way backed off. When the throttle is backed off on all the way, the backfiring stops. Nice because you can use it when you want to...:p

I had encountered this with my 1150 GS too with the same combination. I had installed a Techlusion device (not for that reason) and since it disconnects the O2 sensor it seems to have eliminated the overrun popping that you are refering to. The best I can get now is a sort of gurgling sound and at my age it is tough to say if it is me or the bike anyway to onlookers...lol

Check for the tuning and synchronization of the throttle bodies if you have not done this since your installation as you may find some reason for added leaning of the fuel there too.

fix back-firing

I would recomend calling Santa Cruz BMW dealer. They have an after market part that totally fixed my problem. Performance Controller by Wunderlich. Part# 8530120----made for the GS model. However I use it on my R1200S and it stopped my popping and gave me more fuel for more power.:wave

Popping

I have a problem with a 06 GS I put on a Remus header on the stock muffler. It sounds great but it backfires a lot. I have tightened up all I know. HELP

Check the fit on the header, you might have an air leak.
If you pull the sensor, the system goes to default and runs rich.
Check out the Wonderlich also.

I stopped the back firing of my 96 rt with the addition of a techclusion box.

I vote air leak. In My experience with backfiring it was almost always caused by an exhaust system air leak ahead of the muffler. Try permatex high temp orange rtv to seal the headers. Good luck!

Back