• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are you going to Hamburg ? Where are you coming from ?

Coming from North Idaho

Coming from the Sandpoint, ID area. Planning on covering 32 states with rides into both Canada & Mexico, and with the Hamburg rally as the objective. Should cover close to 9000 mi by the time I'm back home 30 days later. Not planning on a single motel. Going to be a kick.
Bob

Coming from the Sandpoint, ID area. Planning on covering 32 states with rides into both Canada & Mexico, and with the Hamburg rally as the objective. Should cover close to 9000 mi by the time I'm back home 30 days later. Not planning on a single motel. Going to be a kick.
Bob

Impressive. Most impressive. I'm just a little bit jealous here.

I think KJ is setting up in the RV section this time. Maybe he should park right in front of the beer garden!

That sounds like an astounding idea. Maybe we should apply as a group and get our own area, like the airheads (they had a full size vent tent with swap-shop furniture last year)? Then we can park the RV, set up coverage and have all the tents and bikes together (for the campers at least). My wife may actually be driving her bike over and back, which means I'll have a truck and trailer there too.

Bob

Barley and I did 8800 miles on the way to Salem and back, a wonderfully meandering route! It was all the vacation time I was allowed to take in one blow and the first time in my life I found myself looking forward to retirement so I could throw off the time constraints. Enjoy, and if you find yourself in northern Vermont in need of a pitstop, the guest room is yours. Well, you might have to share it with a couple of dogs, but the offer's there.

Pete

the ride

Nice offer, Pete. Really nice. So far, I hadn't planned on entering VT, but will keep it in mind. The farthest north I had planned on was a lunch stop on the Canadian side of niagara falls just to say I rode into Canada on the trip. Where I live is only an hour south of Canada and could check it off easily from home, but where's the fun in that? Plus I've never been to the big falls.
I'm just trying to decide how to orchestrate a fluid change at some point on the trip w/o using a dealership. But once I map out more details of my route, I'll know which anonymous members to reach out to for assistance. I know I'll be probably in the Southwest US when an oil chg is due.

Sorry about going off-topic on the thread.

Nice offer, Pete. Really nice. So far, I hadn't planned on entering VT, but will keep it in mind. The farthest north I had planned on was a lunch stop on the Canadian side of niagara falls just to say I rode into Canada on the trip. Where I live is only an hour south of Canada and could check it off easily from home, but where's the fun in that? Plus I've never been to the big falls.
I'm just trying to decide how to orchestrate a fluid change at some point on the trip w/o using a dealership. But once I map out more details of my route, I'll know which anonymous members to reach out to for assistance. I know I'll be probably in the Southwest US when an oil chg is due.

Sorry about going off-topic on the thread.

Dude... Just go to a dealer. Service tech's gotta eat too.

Bob

Been trying to talk my copilot (Mary) into doing the mega-mile thing again (two up) by going from here to Vancouver Island and zig-zag back to rally and home. However, I don't seem to be winning the negotiation, so all I can do is cheer you on. Excellent plan. Ride safe;stay vigilant eh? - Bob

Dude... Just go to a dealer. Service tech's gotta eat too.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm just so used to wrenching. I like being self sufficient. Figured all I needed was a space to do it. I carry my tools and supplies in a disposable tub that serves as an oil catch pan. Fits in one side-case. But it would feel like luxury to not get my hands dirty or lie on the ground next to the bike while traveling. I'll definitely consider the dealer method where you simply open your wallet. All the bucks saved on hotels would make it pretty painless. :thumb

And actually I could have it done at the rally I suppose. Would save me the hassle of diverting to a dealer. I could then drink beer & watch it done!!!

Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm just so used to wrenching. I like being self sufficient. Figured all I needed was a space to do it. I carry my tools and supplies in a disposable tub that serves as an oil catch pan. Fits in one side-case. But it would feel like luxury to not get my hands dirty or lie on the ground next to the bike while traveling. I'll definitely consider the dealer method where you simply open your wallet. All the bucks saved on hotels would make it pretty painless. :thumb

And actually I could have it done at the rally I suppose. Would save me the hassle of diverting to a dealer. I could then drink beer & watch it done!!!

We have changed oil a lot of times on trips without going to a dealer. I've changed oil at old gas stations that still have a service bay, quick lube shops, Walmart outside of the service area, little independent shops.
I only remember one time when I had to buy a plastic oil pan. All the other places would give me a pan, a place to dump the oil, most would give me shop rags and some gave me latex gloves and something to knell on when changing the oil.
Most of the time I would buy the oil from the shop, the few times they didn't have the oil I needed they would still let us use a pan.
I remember one trip when we could not find a little independent shop and decided to try a national chain quick lube place. I was sure they would tell me to get lost, but they were glad to help and even offered tools. A couple of the guys hung around to visit while I changed the oil. It's fun to meet some of the locals this way.

Seems like some of the Nationals had a oil change place if you ran to town and bought your own oil.

If you happen pass through Creston Iowa, you're welcome to change oil at our place.

Last edited:
Seems like some of the Nationals would have a oil change place if you ran to town and bought your own oil.

There is an oil change station at DAS Rally. Pickup your own oil, filter, crush washers. Tools and rags are usually available. :thumb

Last edited:
Wow !

Bob

That sounds awesome ! Trip of a lifetime !

I am going to Hamburg

I am traveling from Harrisburg PA. This will be my first rally, looking forward to it. I'm reading this forum for info, tips, and advice from the rally veterans. :)

Ok, so at the rally, I won't likely be able to drink beer and watch it done, but at least I can sip a beer while I do it myself. :)

Ok, so at the rally, I won't likely be able to drink beer and watch it done, but at least I can sip a beer while I do it myself. :)

No, you should go outside of the rally, buy the beer at a bar and tip generously.........so the bartender can pay his rent/mortgage. And, don't forget to buy the hat or tee-shirt they have for sale.....

There will almost certainly be an "oil change station" where you can change oil, trans oil, final drive oil, etc. With funnels, drain pans, and a barrel or container for disposal.

Bring oil, filter, gear oil, crush washers, and all will be perfect and you can drink beer maybe, or maybe not.

Coming in from Lexington, IL - hoping to leave Friday before and get up into Maine and other states I've never hit in the NE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back