• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone have an Xchallenge?

S

scqtt

I just ordered one. A few guys over on ADV have them, but I do not see any posts on here. Is it an outcast?

After riding one during a Xplor event for about a 1/2 day up in the Adirondacks, I was seriously thinking of trading in the GS650 for one. Same drive train on a more serious off road chassis.

I just have a difficult time convincing myself that I can commute on this ~60-80 miles per day...? Maybe with an aftermarket seat...

Other than that, its hard to plop that kind of $$ at a "dirt bike" thats going to get the heck beat out of it. Resale will be low, so plan on keeping it for a long time.

There is a thread over on ADV that talks about this. Dealer trade in on these things is ridiculously low.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the next batch to come in the states will NOT have a Rotax engine...

A buddy of mind bought one pretty early on. He's a former racer, highly skilled dirt rider, and has probably owned 100 bikes. He loves his and rides it all the time. He found the height difficult to deal with but has figured out the dampening to suit his height and riding style.

Our local police department just bought two and had them outfitted with lights, etc. Haven't heard any pro or con about this yet.

Good luck. Hope you love yours.

I've got the X-Country and have enjoyed 1,600 miles I've got on it. Love the 60-70 mpg, too. Great on dirt roads, especially with the lower weight than the F series.

I just have a difficult time convincing myself that I can commute on this ~60-80 miles per day...? Maybe with an aftermarket seat...

Other than that, its hard to plop that kind of $$ at a "dirt bike" thats going to get the heck beat out of it. Resale will be low, so plan on keeping it for a long time.

There is a thread over on ADV that talks about this. Dealer trade in on these things is ridiculously low.
edited

Well, a couple of things. I bought one in December and started riding it two weeks ago. Seat is like a 2x4. I stuck a gell pad on it and it's now like a padded 2x4, but very ok for an hour or so at a time. I ride it 40 miles each way to and from work. Always arrive at either destination with a BIG smile on my face (which gets even broader at the gas pump).

Next, this bike is NOT a $10,000 bike. I paid $6871 out the door for mine, brand new, with ABS. If you pay more, you will be hurt or angry at trade in or from buyer's remorse.

Be aware, this bike has been discontinued. It appears that only the X-Country has survived this one year experiment and the motors for it are now made in China (not necessarily a bad thing).

I LOVE my X-Challenge!

Picked it up today

jan08313.jpg

So far so good. I have only ridden about 30 miles

Looking great!

I do have some envy going on...

Are those stock hand guards?

Next thing is to read up on all the mods and farkles the guys over on ADVrider are doing to theres...!

Those are the BMW hand guards with the large (two sizes available) shields and the additional spoilers.

I have been reading about all the stuff over there on ADV, but I like to ride bikes stock. This is going to me my daily ride so I might have to change some things, but I will keep it mostly stock.

I am going to dig out my vintage 1970's "DO IT IN THE DIRT" cast aluminum license plate frame for this one.

Those are the BMW hand guards with the large (two sizes available) shields and the additional spoilers.

I have been reading about all the stuff over there on ADV, but I like to ride bikes stock. This is going to me my daily ride so I might have to change some things, but I will keep it mostly stock.

I am going to dig out my vintage 1970's "DO IT IN THE DIRT" cast aluminum license plate frame for this one.

Congrats on the new bike! If you like it as much as I like mine you'll be thrilled. I have a XChallenge in addition to a few other bikes in my garage. I love my Challenge. If I could only have one bike it would be down to a choice between that and my KTM 990 Adventure. Sadly, I bought my Challenge early on so I paid nearly MSRP :violin . I'll just keep it forever so I can average the extra cost down over a lifetime of ownership :thumb .

After riding one during a Xplor event for about a 1/2 day up in the Adirondacks, I was seriously thinking of trading in the GS650 for one. Same drive train on a more serious off road chassis.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the next batch to come in the states will NOT have a Rotax engine...

See how things change...

Sold the GS and bought an XCh...
Going on 2-1/2 weeks and ~700 miles.
Will need to address the seat...

But...This is what I wish the GS could have done all along...

Back