• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone have a newer Royal Enfield Int 650 experience

motodan

they can share? I'm looking for something to do causal riding with that has a retro style. I rode one of these today, it was a pleasant ride. Many of it's features matched my very enjoyable '76 Honda CB550F of decades ago...including horsepower rating. For less than $6,000 I find it interesting. Sorry about picture. I took picture correctly (as our system demands and it still came up sideways and I can't delete and start over. I shouldn't be allowed to ride a bike! %$##@&%!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9086.jpg
    IMG_9086.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 252
No personal experience but a buddy of mine has one and he loves it. Totally reliable with about 10,000km on it this year.

I wonder how well balanced the motor is when it comes to buzzy vibrations. I recall my early Honda 350 and after a couple hours I was pretty numb all over my body. Other than that I liked the bike pretty well but then came the R75/7.:clap

I wonder how well balanced the motor is when it comes to buzzy vibrations. I recall my early Honda 350 and after a couple hours I was pretty numb all over my body. Other than that I liked the bike pretty well but then came the R75/7.:clap

The one I rode was pretty smooth. From what I’ve read it is not a shaker.

Okay, I bought it. 100 miles on it as of this morning. Just what I was looking for. Relatively decent weight at 440 pounds, 47 horsepower, 6 speed, has top end over 100 (which I’ll never see), easy screw lock nut valve adjustments, 3 1/2 gallon tank, low seat height (I can actually throw my leg over it like my old Honda 550), reportedly 60 plus MPG. 36 months unlimited miles warranty with same coverage on Roadside Service. My knees will get a break from the RT on occasion. I do believe this bike can get me around after the RT gets to heavy for the older me.

Last edited:
Okay, I bought it. 100 miles on it as of this morning. Just what I was looking for. Relatively decent weight at 440 pounds, 47 horsepower, 6 speed, has top end over 100 (which I’ll never see), easy screw lock nut valve adjustments, 3 1/2 gallon tank, low seat height (I can actually throw my leg over it like my old Honda 550), reportedly 60 plus MPG. 36 months unlimited miles warranty with same coverage on Roadside Service. My knees will get a break from the RT on occasion. I do believe this bike can get me around after the RT gets to heavy for the older me.

Hope you have good luck with it. I miss simple designs.
OM

Good luck and enjoy! I seriously considered one and phoned a dealership but was turned off after he started listing all the transport, setup, dealer added fees, etc. I stopped adding them up in my head after he went well north of $1000 and was still talking. I know it might have been different if I’d stopped in in person and tried negotiating, but my patience for all that time-wasting dancing bull**** is gone. So I chose a very lightly used 1150R private sale for half the price.

Thanks for posting it up. I got to check out the You Tube videos, which were awesome.

I too had a '76 CB550F once upon a time, great bike. I have recently wondered what I might do if I get to feeling that my '16 RT is too much, too tall etc., and I was thinking of the old 550. Interesting information.

I had a '74 CB550, one of the first ones. Tested the last '73 CB500 and the first '74 CB550. CB550 was by far better in the transmisson area.:t

Back in what seems like a time far far away when we had bike shows the Royal Enfield (RE) line up looked very attractive. They had a chrome tank 650 that really stood out. I actually like the lines of the Himalayan a lot but it does not hit all the performance buttons of the 310 GS. Does have a 4 gallon tank and appears to have better off road chops. My dealer, BMW of Grand Rapids Michigan, recently picked up the line. I think they will lure some into a second bike that may not have done that otherwise. It will be interesting to hear reports on reliability. Without a lot of changes they should perform well. I have seen performance parts someplace for the Himalayan. I hope the bike shows come back.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thanks for posting it up. I got to check out the You Tube videos, which were awesome.

I too had a '76 CB550F once upon a time, great bike. I have recently wondered what I might do if I get to feeling that my '16 RT is too much, too tall etc., and I was thinking of the old 550. Interesting information.

I had a ‘76 CB550F (Orange) bought in ‘78 as a two year leftover.
I guess the Orange didn’t sell as fast as the other colors as the two leftovers the dealer had were both orange.
IIRC, MSRP was $1825 and I paid around $1350. I guess they were sick of seeing them on the showroom floor for 2+ years!

Well, a few years ago I thought it would be cool to find another one and I did. While it was in great shape overall and was a lot of fun, being nostalgic we forget how it differs from a truly modern bike of today. You could tell it was a couple generations removed from our modern brakes, suspension, and fuel injection. A lot of little things needed almost constant lubrication and attention that we forget about needing nowadays.

I too had a ‘74 CB550.
The engine was the centerpiece of that bike, very smooth with a pleasant burble sound at low rpm. Lots of chrome, large tach and speedo, the 4 colored light display between the bar clamps …
I thought the brakes were fine.

Handling was vastly improved by replacing the plastic swingarm bushings with brass ones.
Fuel mileage was also improved with a K&N air filter. OEM filters were restrictive and plugged up quickly.
Too bad about the stock mufflers, though. They all seemed prone to rust, regardless of how or where the bike was ridden.

All in all, though, it was a comfortable, reliable, and very capable mid-sized bike.

The Royal Enfield 650 twin might appeal to the same people who fondly remember their CB550. They are selling very well, in several markets. Time will tell how they hold up.

Back