• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

An Interesting Seat

I don't know what that is but Russell Day Long and Seth Lamm make similar seats. I can personally attest to just how good Seth's seats are.

i like the look but is it comfortable?
For some reason BMW comfort seat sounds like an oxymoron to me.

I don't know what that is but Russell Day Long and Seth Lamm make similar seats. I can personally attest to just how good Seth's seats are.

...of course, seat preference is subjective as all heck, but I 'll share my experience with ya: I had about 4 Seth seats. They all seem to cave-in after a while; though I am not an authority on seat-foam, comparing it to the foam others use (like Sargent) it seems Seth uses a lower grade foam( or he used to anyways, cause its been a while since I sit on a Seth seat) and I find myself sinking into a hole that my weigh makes eventually.

On the more personal basis, I have heard several people and I can attest to this myself, that dude has an ego the size of a house and if you have to re-shape your seat he can get very ornery.

The RDL is by far the best touring seat that I have known for an RT...the problem with their construct is that it raises you about 2 inches (per their own caveat), so unless you are over 6' 1", you would lose a lot of reach. I tried my friends more than once and I have to tip-toe at stops and I am 5' 9".

The Corbin is hard as a rock...if you like that feel....and a heavy fiber glass pan...the Corbin is for ya

I used the Wunderlich also once...returned it immediately.

The standard size OEM is about as comfy as a Sargent, give or take a couple of sores on your butt.

My guess is, after spending a lot of money on seats, that the size of the pan on the RT seat is too small for comfort, no matter what you do to it. Of course, if you want to put five pillow inside of it and you have 27feet worth of leg in-seam, then yea, you could make it comfy.

Russell makes a Sports Version

FYI The Russell sport version only raises one about 3/4" That's from the Low BMW seat I sent them. For us little people (5' 6.5" 145 lbs) who do not need the big seat pan they work rather well. The BMW Comfort is still non breathing Vinyl.

I was super happy with the Kontour seat on my 07RT
No problem doing Iron Butt rides on it.

I just received my new one for my 1250RT

YMMV

...of course, seat preference is subjective as all heck, but I 'll share my experience with ya: I had about 4 Seth seats. They all seem to cave-in after a while; though I am not an authority on seat-foam, comparing it to the foam others use (like Sargent) it seems Seth uses a lower grade foam( or he used to anyways, cause its been a while since I sit on a Seth seat) and I find myself sinking into a hole that my weigh makes eventually.

I only rode my Lamm seat for 6k miles or so. And Sargent seats have always worked for me.

On the more personal basis, I have heard several people and I can attest to this myself, that dude has an ego the size of a house and if you have to re-shape your seat he can get very ornery.

The RDL is by far the best touring seat that I have known for an RT...the problem with their construct is that it raises you about 2 inches (per their own caveat), so unless you are over 6' 1", you would lose a lot of reach. I tried my friends more than once and I have to tip-toe at stops and I am 5' 9".

The Corbin is hard as a rock...if you like that feel....and a heavy fiber glass pan...the Corbin is for ya

I used the Wunderlich also once...returned it immediately.

The standard size OEM is about as comfy as a Sargent, give or take a couple of sores on your butt.

My guess is, after spending a lot of money on seats, that the size of the pan on the RT seat is too small for comfort, no matter what you do to it. Of course, if you want to put five pillow inside of it and you have 27feet worth of leg in-seam, then yea, you could make it comfy.

Your experience is similar to mine. We're about the same size so that may have something to do with it.

I'm still on the factory seat on my 2020 and with raising the front it is much improved but I'm sure at some point I'll replace it.

I tried a Sargent on my '04 1150 and i agree it was only marginally better than stock. It felt good at first but not good for me on long days. I then sent the OE pan to Rich Maund and was completely satisfied with it. Maybe the most comfortable seat I've owned. I had him do my Moto Guzzi seat as well. I don't know if he is even doing it anymore.

On my GS I went with a Saddlemen and am very happy with it. It is firmer than stock but not Corbin hard. It does sit higher and is slightly wider so more leg room to the pegs but harder to flat foot on at stops.

Back