• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Am I crazy or is the oilhead the best beemer ever (half serious)

The Best

All I know is, my 2004 RT (110k) still evokes the right emotions when I ride. And I think it's one of BMW's most elegant designs.

I've tried, but still can't understand all the angles and mis-matched pieces on most of the new BMW's.

But I'm old, so........

I got a 2008 RT to complement my '99 RT and though in many respects its more useful for two up and long distance riding, the 1100 is more fun to ride and better at very low speed handling imo.

I have a 2nd oilhead I bought from a member which has 298K miles on it. I am the second owner and put a new clutch in it though all it had was a blown throwout bearing. I think it had rebuilt heads put on it at some point. It runs and rides just like my 99 which has a little over 100K on it.

My '00 1150GS has 368,000km on it. I've owned it for 20 years and will never sell it.
I also have a '13 1200 Camhead GSA. I love that bike as well but always enjoy jumping back on the old one. It is a great bike and has never let me down.
Properly maintained they will last forever.

Great, so according to Paul, I have 2 classics in my garage now, or 1 classic, and one soon-to-be classic? :clap

And here I was thinking about modernizing the entire fleet.

Oh well, instead of wanting something I don't have, maybe I'll start wanting what I already have. Pretty much how I've always done it.

I've owned 2, and have NO regrets. If you're going to own a BMW motorcycle, an airhead is a great (positive) experience.
I agree, but the oilheads have more power and fuel injection, are generally cheaper, and are still relatively easy to work on.

Agree with Paul and others that the single spark 1150’s are a high point in the BMW universe — I’ve had mine for almost 20 years, while many other bikes have come and gone through my garage during that time. However, I’ve — reluctantly — put mine up for sale on the oilhead marketplace. I’ve got a newer BMW (F700GS) that is amazingly capable, and I just added a Royal Enfield INTerceptor 650 to the fold. So, maybe someone will find my trusty R bike a good fit for their needs, but if not, I’ll still be smiling.

nice bike. If I didn't just drive a R1100RT that i bought back from Greenwich, I would fly and drive that baby. Looks like a fun ride, well taken care of.

IMG_3049_heic-XL.jpg

Definitely cheaper...have you noticed air head prices lately?

Maybe in twenty, or twenty five years, the original oilheads will take off. My heirs will be happy.

I agree, but the oilheads have more power and fuel injection, are generally cheaper, and are still relatively easy to work on.

My brother and I both have 97 1100rts. The one I have now is my third oilhead. I had a 2000 rt with a salvage tite. I put a clutch in it along with doing all the other maintenance it needed. I convinced myself to stop riding and and sold it after having children. Fortunately my wife thinks I'm an ******* when I don't have a motorcycle and a few months later I bought a 2002 1150rt also with a salvage title. I put about 10k miles on it before the input shaft splines stripped on it. I planned on fixing it, but a tow truck driver completely destroyed it. Like knocked it over, dragged it up the flatbed and chained it down hard enough to bend the rear frame section and destroy the Tupperware. So i found my current bike, a 97 rt with a clean title and 72k miles on it. It is a weird light green/blue and came with a cee Bailey windshield and Corbin seat. In the month I have owned it I have put 8k miles on it. As far as I'm concerned oilheads are all I care to own until I have enough money to have many motorcycles at the same time.

Attachments

• 20210521_180217.jpg
    20210521_180217.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 105
Back