• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alternator Bolts and Brushes

barron_williams

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
I've got the front cover off to replace the gasket around the advance unit, so thought I'd replace the alternator brushes and springs.

Two things -

The brushes that are on the bike have a thin tube of insulation over the braided wiring. The new ones from BMW don't have the insulation. It has been about eight years since I replaced the brushes, but I don't remember having to re-use the insulation sleeves. Seems like they came already on the brushes. Anyone else run into this?

Second, when I started to take the alternator off (to get to the nuts holding the brush assembly), the three bolts are not coming loose. I seem to remember this being a challenge last time. They are really thin and not too strong. Any tricks to loosening these?

Barron

Barron -

I bought some brushes many moons ago. Seems like they came with no insulation. Reuse of find something suitable.

You're trying to remove the stator? #12 in this picture?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0277&mospid=47839&btnr=12_0737&hg=12&fg=10

I forget if you can get to where the threads enter the housing. If you can, try some penetrant, PB Blaster or Kroil. If not, you could try lightly tapping on the head of the screw to break some of the corrosion.

Back