• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alternate route info north of Missoula?

W7lej1

Kindly curmudgeon
A friend and I will be coming from the Spokane area, and I'm looking for an alternate to I-90 into Missoula. No major objection to riding the Interstate, just maybe thinking of a pleasant back country alternate.

I see a road from south of Ravalli and Arlee across to MT 83 near Seely Lake. It looks to be named "Jocko Rd." Is that section suitable for an RT and a non-BMW cruiser type bike? At my age I'm no longer interested in "GS-ing" on my RT (ha!)

Anyone in the Missoula, Great Falls, or other local area that can provide info on that route? If not we will just stay on the slab to Missoula then jump on MT 200 to GF. Thanks!

Jocko

A friend and I will be coming from the Spokane area, and I'm looking for an alternate to I-90 into Missoula. No major objection to riding the Interstate, just maybe thinking of a pleasant back country alternate.

I see a road from south of Ravalli and Arlee across to MT 83 near Seely Lake. It looks to be named "Jocko Rd." Is that section suitable for an RT and a non-BMW cruiser type bike? At my age I'm no longer interested in "GS-ing" on my RT (ha!)

Anyone in the Missoula, Great Falls, or other local area that can provide info on that route? If not we will just stay on the slab to Missoula then jump on MT 200 to GF. Thanks!

The Jocko River Road is a gravel road. On the Flathead Reservation side of the of the divide the road is in fair condition, however, once you cross the divide and leave the Reservation the road becomes somewhat rough for several miles. If I were on a RT or other road bike I would probably avoid the route.

Keith Blount: Butte, MT

Spokane to Rally

I really enjoy HWY 2 through Libby, Kalispell Browning and Choctaw. Extra miles can include Libby to Eureka, Whitefish on to Rally. If you choose Hwy 2 stop at Kooteney Falls between Troy and Libby. It is awesome little hike across swinging bridge. Although I will be riding from Florida I lived in Libby for 4 years and road these roads a lot.

I really enjoy HWY 2 through Libby, Kalispell Browning and Choctaw. Extra miles can include Libby to Eureka, Whitefish on to Rally. If you choose Hwy 2 stop at Kooteney Falls between Troy and Libby. It is awesome little hike across swinging bridge. Although I will be riding from Florida I lived in Libby for 4 years and road these roads a lot.

+1 for using this route for sure.

Re Jocko Rd - Thanks!

The Jocko River Road is a gravel road. On the Flathead Reservation side of the of the divide the road is in fair condition, however, once you cross the divide and leave the Reservation the road becomes somewhat rough for several miles. If I were on a RT or other road bike I would probably avoid the route.

Keith Blount: Butte, MT

Exactly what I needed to know, thank you!

Hwy 2 - thanks for the tip!

Thank you for the suggestion! My friend and I did a good portion of the route you mentioned three years ago, rode US 2 out east almost to the ND line. And we stopped T Kootenay Falls on that trip.

Back