• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alaska Anyone?

AK. trip 7/12

Hello, My name is Allen Spence. I live in Edgewater,FL. Myself and 3 other friends are driving to AK after the MO. Natl. Rally in 7/12. I am the only 1 of the 4 who have been to AK in 2008 on my R1100RT, 14,200 mile trip! We are driving 300-700 miles per day and we are all exp. riders. My email is alslst2004@yahoo.com. I you are interested in going,
please let me know. We are planning on 30 days to do this . Allen Spence, AlCan Rider

Riders from Albany, NY to Alaska this June/July

Looking for 2-3 motorcyclist interesting in riding to Alaska from June 28 to July 23 ish this summer from the Albany, NY region. We will be towing the bikes and gear in a 15 passenger van and covered trailer to Minot, ND, leaving the truck and trailer and then riding to and from Alaska back to Minot returning to the Albany, NY region on July 23.
There are two committed to the trip as of now and we need 2-3 more bikers to share driving and costs along the way. Contact Dave at 518-421-3242 for the itinerary etc. Also looking to talk with folks who have done this and have advice and stories about riding in Alaska. Leave emails with Greg at this site.

Riding to Alaska from Albany, NY region

Looking for 2-3 motorcyclist interesting in riding to Alaska from June 28 to July 23 ish this summer from the Albany, NY region. We will be towing the bikes and gear in a 15 passenger van and covered trailer to Minot, ND, leaving the truck and trailer and then riding to and from Alaska back to Minot returning to the Albany, NY region on July 23.
There are two committed to the trip as of now and we need 2-3 more bikers to share driving and costs along the way. Contact Dave at 518-421-3242 for the itinerary etc. Also looking to talk with folks who have done this and have advice and stories about riding in Alaska. Leave emails with Greg at this site.

Alaska - June 2012

Hi - I am in the planning stages of a RT to Deadhorse, AK from the Tampa Bay, FL area o/a June 15, 2012. Date is not firm. Current thinking is to ride from here down to Key West, FL and make that the official starting point. At present route of march is Key West to Atlanta > St Louis, MO > Sioux Falls, SD > Minot, ND > Saskatoon, SK > Edmonton, AB > Dawson Creek, BC > White Horse, YT > Fairbanks, AK > Prudhoe Bay, AK > Denali NP, Anchorage, AK > and then down to Vancouver, BC and Seattle Area. Time in the saddle will depend on weather and traffic.

I have friends in Victoria and Vancouver, BC and family and friends in the Seattle area. I am giving some thought to the Marine Ferry from Whittier to Juneau (friends there) and then on to Bellingham, WA. I haven't given too much thought to the route back to Florida. I've not been to Glacier or Rocky Mountain national parks yet--so that is a consideration. Also, do not know how long I'll spend in the Puget Sound area.

I presently ride an '09, R1200GS. The last two years, I've made solo rides from Tampa Bay to the west coast (2010 to WA and BC) and this past summer to CA, primarily mouching my way across America and visiting national parks.

I spent 26 years in the army; camped a lot, didn't like it then and don't like it now, so I'll be looking for a hot shower and clean sheets each night.

I lived in Alaska for 3 1/2 years ('75-78) and have been all over the state but usually in an Army Otter, and have visted above the Arctic Circle (Kotzebue) but have never been on the Dalton Highway.

Riding along with others is primarily a safety consideration.

If interested in coordinating the trip and travelling along together, please drop me a note: yarbay@tampabay.rr.com .

Cheers,

Cyprus

Alaska

My wife and I rode this last year. What a fantastic ride see my blog for photo's and places we visited.
Don't miss Hyder for simply going up to see Salmon Glacier, that is a sight to see.
The Kanai penn. is awesome,as well as Glenn Hiway . Dust 2 Dawson is a great time with the ADVers . If you want to hit a few places in Yukon Bella Coola out of Willams Lake is remarkable. Chena Hot Sprongs N. of Fairbanks is a great way to unwind.
E mail me if you want more advice/suggestions . We covered 7500 miles in 3 weeks .BE PREPARED FOR RAIN,RAIN,RAIN..... We put up and tore down camp in it almost everyday.
Don't let that ruin your trip, it is all great and you'll run out of adjectives the first day of riding.
Oh yea , the ride is VERY Hard on your equipment, start with new :tires,brake pads,chain/sprockets , ETC Xtra bulbs and screws you'll need it

http://bmerman.blogspot.com/
Look at previous rides , I have Alaska in 2 parts.

http://www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com/

Good Luck

Just an update on my planned Alaska trip in 2012. Leaving Central Illinois in third week of June, heading towards Yellowstone, then to Glacier National Park. Then to Seattle, Vancouver, up the Sea To Sky, and on up to Anchorage. Then to Fairbanks, Deadhorse, then back down through Vancouver, Highway 1 to San Diago. Across to Alamogordo, NM and work my way back home from there. 30 -45 days scheduled. Most riding will be on two-lane roads. I typically ride alone, but would enjoy some company anywhere along the trip.

I live in Squamish on the sea to sky highway (half way between Whistler and Vancouver)...get to ride it into Vancouver on my way to work every day. Feel free to look the wife and I up on your way through...would love to ride part of the way with you

Dog !

I've been off this site too much.

Kevin: You gettin mean in your old age? Annie: Cook up something to sweeten him up.. Please! Had Knee surgery the 19th, doing the happy dance already, and finally hitting the Ft. WW FFC. The bikes will both be up and ready to run in March.

Richard: The plan is to go south with the RT.. It does get better mileage, and is geared way higher. I also like hiding behind the faring. SHMBO wants some fish in the freezer so a Chitna trip is on tap. Maybe a run down for halibutt too.

Bob, good to hear your on the mend. We'll be at D2D then in Fairbanks for a week or so before heading to Homer for a wedding. Should also see you guys in MO.

Back