• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Airhead Tool Kits

EMoralesR45

So I'll be doing attending my first MOA Rally this June. I want to prep my gear and I'm looking for a tool kit to carry with me. I keep looking on ebay and BMW shops and the tool kits are $200+ for a set. Anyone know where I can get one at a non-BMW price or recommend of a kit or pieces to make a complete kit. Thank You !

V/R Eric

I think that the fundamental question should be - what is your objective for having the tool kit? Are you looking to be able to fix any issue with your bike and/or make roadside repairs for common airhead problems? Or are you looking to arrive at the airhead tent at the rally and be able to lend a hand to folks having issues?

What is your level of mechanical expertise with your bike? What is the condition of your bike? A well prepped bike tends to have less issues.

Problems that I have seen occur on the road where a toolkit was helpful include:
- adjusting valves (need appropriate allen or hex keys, sockets [including for spark plug], ratchet, extension, wrenches, and feeler gauges
- points adjustment (similar to above, timing light [static or strobe])
- charging system (replacement carbon brushes [get type with "eye" connector rather than solder], springs for brush [just in case!], spare rotor [seems overkill, if questionable, get better replacement ahead of time from Rick at MotorRadElektrik], voltage regulator, diode board [these seem like overkill...until you need them], Airhead Charging System book by Rick Jones)
- flat tire (pump and/or CO2 canisters and injector, patch kit, spare tube or patch for tubeless tire, tools to remove wheels, tire irons)
- ignition (crack-o-matic coil failed in heavy rainstorm on a buddy's airhead), small Volt-Ohm-Meter, test light spark plugs, plug wire, spark plug cap [I dislike the metal spark plug cap and replaced with NGK cap, no need for spare].
- missing fastener - handy to have small collection of M5 and M6 screws, washers, and nuts.

Having a cell phone, credit card, and a good towing plan can get you and the bike to a repair shop. After seeing a buddy needing to be towed about 75 miles after the crack-o-matic coil failure, I became a fan of the AAA RV Plus plan.

Other issues were addressed by use of Anonymous Book and help from other person; e.g., adjust steering stem (needed 36 mm wrench, hammer, punch, and other wrenches for removal of speedo assembly)

Less expensive tools can be had from online sources (i.e., the 'Zon') or Harbor Freight. E-bay can provide some other missing bits. Kathy's Journey Design and other sources can provide suitable tool rolls.
https://kjdlifetime.com/products/Kathy's-CORDURA®-Standard-Tool-Pouch|117

I bought the replacement tool kit for my R65 LS from Bob's BMW. No it wasn't cheap but it is a quality kit with all the tools I need for that bike. I don't remember the price but it was certainly worth it to me.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the rally next month!!

Consider the CruzTool kit offered by RevZilla...search Amazon for that...while they have something for BMW, I doesn't look like it covers the earlier models. But it does have some useful tools. For my R25/2, I researched to find what was in the stock tool kit and then went to a number of pawn shops in town to find what I needed. I specifically needed the double-ended open-end wrenches that tool kits usually have. I found most what I needed and then I completed it by finding a few specific items at Northern Tool.

This page will give you some idea of what was in the took kits:

https://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-tool-kits-and-more/

I bought the replacement tool kit for my R65 LS from Bob's BMW. No it wasn't cheap but it is a quality kit with all the tools I need for that bike. I don't remember the price but it was certainly worth it to me.

Hey sir, thanks for the reply! That is better than any other place I've seen them posted. I'll be use to get it from there. Thank you for that! Will you be attending the MOA Rally as well? Thanks again

V/R Eric

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the rally next month!!

Consider the CruzTool kit offered by RevZilla...search Amazon for that...while they have something for BMW, I doesn't look like it covers the earlier models. But it does have some useful tools. For my R25/2, I researched to find what was in the stock tool kit and then went to a number of pawn shops in town to find what I needed. I specifically needed the double-ended open-end wrenches that tool kits usually have. I found most what I needed and then I completed it by finding a few specific items at Northern Tool.

This page will give you some idea of what was in the took kits:

https://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-tool-kits-and-more/

Oh wow! New link saved sir! Ha! Thank you for sharing that. Yes, I saw the cruz tools but wasn't truly sure what it covered but that link will work to get the remainder. Thanks again!

V/R Eric

Back