• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air filter service. How to remove air filter

markhilton

Just recently picked up a Frankenstein R75/7. I was told it has 1000 cc cylinders. I don't want to pull the head to measure the bore. Is there a way to determine visually if this true. The carbs are Dellorto PHM. I have ordered a rebuild kits for them. Just having a difficult time removing the carbs. I don't want to break anything. I only see one screw that hold the air box halves together. Something has to hold the air box to the engine. I do have a manual coming. This bike used to belong to a MOA writer It has a 200,000 badge on it. I wonder if anyone knows him John Davidson.20211215_172133.jpg

Mark -

Welcome to the forum! The one-year-only R75/7 is a nice bike to have. Clearly not stock though!!

As for the cylinders, I understand there are numbers cast into the base of the cylinder. I think if it's a 1000cc, you probably will see the number 10. From the valve covers, those look to be /6 types. I don't recall if the /6 covers can be used on a /7 head.

That screw you see on the left side does hold the left half of the air filter housing together...the clam shell. You'll need to remove the black air horn that feeds air to the carbs. There are hose clamps on either side of the carb, so loosen them and you should be able to wiggle out the air horn. Then, with the long screw removed, reach in with a couple of fingers and wiggle the left housing towards you...should eventually pull out. You can look inside there with the filter removed and see other things that hold the right half in place. No need to deal with that right now I suspect.

I'm looking at your front wheel. Appears to be goldish colored. There is a recall on the 19-inch front snowflake. Yours might have been replaced...check out these sites for more info:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm
https://robfrankham.com/snowflake-wheels

You might want to further check out Snowbum's website...lots of stuff to support the Airheads:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm

I just, today, replaced the air filter in my R60/6. Kurt is correct. Here’s a couple of additional tips. This is what I do on the/6, since you have the clam shell air box it should be the same.

The air snorkel has a rubber sleeve at the junction with the carb. Loosen both clamps there and slide the rubber gasket away from the carb, up onto the snorkel. This will give you plenty of clearance to remove the snorkel.

When you install the new filter, you’ll place it against the inside of the right housing which will hold it in place. Push the left housing back in position, you might have to tap it gently. Then, the trick is to get the long screw to find its spot on the right. Look through the hole in the clam shell where the snorkel goes, and you should be able to see the threads on the other side. Get it threaded, and when you tighten it down it should snug up the clam shell to the engine. Then line up the snorkel, tighten the top clamp, then push the rubber gasket back onto the carburetor and tighten the two bottom clamps.

Back