• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermarket Seat Makers

ULTRAPASS

Other than Corbin, are there any other aftermarket seat makers East of the Mississippi River? My new to me R1200R seat just aint gonna make it with me. I am not going to wait 4 years and 60K miles on this bike to change seats, like I did on the LT.

Ultra LT

I also have a Sargent - on my R1200R.

Not to push people away from the MOA forum, but for R12R specific info - lots of seat discussions, along with photos of the results can be found at the R1200R specific forum: http://r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20

Just search on "seat"..

My comments on the Sargent (and mine is the "LOW" version)

1. It requires your seat to be modified since Sargent doesn't manufacture an R1200R seat pan. Their foam and cover are installed on your seat pan.

2. They do guarantee your satisfaction with it - but there is a $40 fee to restore your old cover/seat-foam to your seat pan if you're not satisfied.

3. They did not use stainless steel staples on mine - and apparently not on any moto seats until people started asking for it on my suggestion. My staples are rusting, something that seems odd for an otherwise quality product. They stated to someone else that they weren't concerned with the rust. I am concerned since it's MY seat. They did use stainless for this person, but had to borrow the stapler and staples from the marine seat business side of the house.

4. If you're located north of Florida - spend the extra $$ and get the heated seat option. I didn't and regret it. It's expensive to have it added later. I ended up making a small heated pad that attaches to the seat, and for winter use this is a wonderful thing. If I was doing it over again - I'd order it installed in the seat. It's a lot like heated grips - once you have it.. and it extends your riding season anyplace where it gets below 40F.

The comfort of the Sargent is better than the stock seat. The stock low seat on the R1200R seems (from comments by other owners) to be the most comfortable of the stock seats. The Sargent conversion is better.

You might also note that BMW makes a "Comfort" seat for the R1200R that looks very much like the Sargent shape (more a bucket, and wider on the butt-cheeks.) Cost is similiar to a Sargent seat (or any aftermarket seat). It comes standard on the R1200R "Touring" package bikes. AFAIK - the BMW Comfort seat doesn't come in a low version.

You may want to try to search function here and at ADVrider.com. There are lots of threads and reviews on the subject.

I have a Sargent on my R12GS and its a lot better than stock. The stocker hurt after less than an hour. I had a Sargent on my R1150R, too. But, for me, the Sargent is a heckuva improvement, but not perfect. My butt still gets a bit sore after a 350 to 400 mile day. I may yet order a Russell for longer riding.

I tried a Sargent seat on my '07 RT. The Sargent is shaped much closer to my posterior shape than is the stock seat (tail bone killer) and so is more comfortable. The Sargent has some nice additional features (under-seat storage, etc.), but is not made as well as the stock seat as far as finish and materials are concerned. The covering, in particular, just looks cheap compared to the stock seat. Also, I had a problem with the fit of the Sargent on my bike. I normally ride with the seat in the "up" position. I'm 6'2" and around 225 lbs. After riding a few miles or going over some bumps with the Sargent in the "up" position, the rear mounts on the seat would slip down to the "low" position, leaving the seat high at the front and low at the back. They offered to exchange the seat but stressed that all their seat pans came out of the same mold, so I just returned my seat and am back to stock for the time being.

Took my sargent to the local seat guy and had it reshaped and padded.Have not tried any long days yet. Ed

Attachments

• bmwseat 004.jpg
    bmwseat 004.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 402
Aftermarket seats

Wow, thanks for the input guys. I will do a comparison of costs between the BMW comfort seat and Sargeant seat. I had a BMW comfort seat on the LT, but it was made in France by some company called the Marque d' Sade, Inc.

Ultra LT

Back