• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermarket fuel pump.1998 1200C

hultman

Any opinions on aftermarket fuel pumps like the one offered on EBay for $70?

Beats the $400 plus cost of the BMW supplied pump, and as this will be my third failed fuel pump on three different BMW's, I'm starting to think that it couldn't be any worse than OEM.

Thoughts?

Jim

Hard to fathom the bad luck of three fuel pumps going south.....with nearly 300,000 miles of BMWs, nary a one of mine has failed. Also, it is a bit hard to comment on the specifics, as we don't know what bike the $70 pump is for. I bet there are many out there that have used after market pumps, but might comment if they knew whether they had relevant experience. I know I have read prior posts of folks who used a Ford Pinto pump on early K-bikes at least for emergencies. Late model bikes? Not sure I would go there, but then I have not had the frustration of even one failure....
Let folks know what bike it applies to, and maybe they can give you their experiences?

Jim,

MOST pump failures are caused by sitting (storage) with fuel in the tank. The fuel breaks down and separates. Those chemicals attack rubber components in the tank. They clog and cause the pump to seize.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
BeemerBoneyard sells a kit which includes a new fuel filter,filter sock,o-rings and such. You will also need to change the electrical connections to the pump. I used this kit when I swapped out the pump in our RT a few years ago. Working like a charm.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16141341231rk.html

The Highflow pump is another alternative others have used.

http://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-80885.80668.1304188.83568-2000-bmw-r1100-r1100gs-r1100r-r1100rs-r1100rt-efi.html

When performing this repair you may also consider an external fuel filter mod.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?81186-2000-R1100RT-fuel-filter-relocation

Have used aftermarkets from BBY with good results. This model says it fits the C

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16141341231n.html

Storage for three years you mention in the other thread sure is a long time in a metal tank with current fuels...rust and water happen and could corrode a pump just sitting there.

That's a really good point. I wonder if just turning the ignition on and off a few times a year just to cycle the pump would prevent this from happening? If the pump cannot be revived by reversing the voltage which would make it spin backwards I would take it apart to see what happened in there.

There was an old airhead here in BC who no longer wrenches who used to take BMW fuel pumps apart very carefully and remove whatever was jamming them up as often the problem is just debris in the pump and then he somehow carefully crimped it all back together again but I've never tried it. I know that is what ruined one of my pumps though. The filter sock was totally deteriorated and it sucked in some hard gasket maker stuff.

I found this a week after local BMW dealer replaced my fuel filter when my pump died after rolling the bike out of my shed. That was lucky... Why the dealer mechanic did not replace the totally obvious failed fuel pump intake filter since it was staring at the tech right in the face is beyond me. I went back there and showed the service manager results of this shoddy repair and they just shrugged. He was an ex Mercedes Benz salesman and had never even ridden a motorcycle.

That was over five years ago and since then I have never had any of my bikes worked on by a BMW dealer shop again except for Ozzies BMW in Chico CA which is now my "local" dealer. They should hold dealer seminars on how to treat customers. Unbelievable service at Ozzies.

After that bad experience I resolved to learn more and just do everything myself even if it takes me forever and if I am in over my head I take it to GSAddict who (lucky me) lives a ferry ride away from Vancouver over on the Sechelt Penninsula. He is the most thorough and skilled mechanic I have ever known and as a former VW apprentice, I've known quite a few!

The R12C's have an orange liner inside the fuel tank, so its not bare metal like others. Oftentimes the liner peels off, and clogs the sock/strainer, or pump if any gets that far. Old gas and ethanol are not good for these liners.

The R12C's have an orange liner inside the fuel tank, so its not bare metal like others. Oftentimes the liner peels off, and clogs the sock/strainer, or pump if any gets that far. Old gas and ethanol are not good for these liners.

It's in the 1100/1150GS tanks as well, same issues.

It's running....

The BBY kit was OK. Didn't like the supplied piping, so used my own.

However, the bike is running!!!:)

Back