• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Advice for a 2012 RT Hexhead owner going to a 2017 RT Wethead?

AjaxTheDog

A friend of mine made me an offer I could refuse on his 2017 barely used wethead. I was thinking my 2012 RT with 85K miles would be my last bike at age 67, but since I just inherited some cash from a departed relative I said why not and bit. So...

I know I am not the first to make this move and this will be my third RT1200 with my sum total of mileage on these north of 150K. That said I'd like to hear what it was that you needed to get used to or change if you made a similar move. I was hoping that the Bluetooth had improved over the 2012 RT for a connection to my Sena 20S, but I am told it still has the sound quality of a 2 transistor radio tuned to an AM station. Is that true? Will my older 49L trunk still fit the new RT?

The newer RT seems to have every factory option, TPMS, Theft alarm, radio, Hill start, keyless everything, Nav GPS in the dash, etc. It also has crash bars to protect the heads and the bags on back.

What should I know before I assume it's the same as the old bike and mess it up? I have done all my own maintenance and have a GS-911 so I am not a newbie in that regard, but sometimes I push anything more complicated off to the dealer out of laziness. There hasn't been much and the 17 RT still has a year of warranty left.

Thanks in advance for your input. I appreciate the wide experiences a group like this can bring to me, it helps a lot when you know what to look out for!

A more refined bike, smoother engine, as you mentioned more bells and whistles. Enjoy you won’t be disappointed

A friend of mine made me an offer I could refuse on his 2017 barely used wethead. ... I was hoping that the Bluetooth had improved over the 2012 RT for a connection to my Sena 20S, but I am told it still has the sound quality of a 2 transistor radio tuned to an AM station. Is that true? Will my older 49L trunk still fit the new RT? ...

The wethead is a very nice machine. I went from a 2005 RT (hexhead) to a 2016 and the difference was like night and day. I don't know that it will be quite as dramatic a difference for your 2012 (which is a camhead) to the wethead, but technology wise there are many differences.

I find that the wethead feels lighter (even though its 25 lbs or so heavier) and less "top heavy". I prefer the wet clutch of the wethead vs the old style dry clutch. The radio/bluetooth will sound the same AFAIK.

The older trunk will fit. I use the older style that I had on my 2005 on my 2016.

The bodywork on the wethead is held on with tabs and there are little "tricks" to getting it on and off. IMO, the older bike was easier to deal with in this regard. That being said, its not rocket science, its just a matter of being careful the first couple of times you deal with it.

If you haven't already, ride them back to back to see how the wethead feels to you.

Last edited:
The BMW top case will fit right on your new BMW. The 2017 RT is a wonderful motorcycle.

i am 79. I just bought a new RT. You are just a kid.

I have my dealer do my maintenance.

2019-spezial.jpg

I listen only to the engine, the wind, and ambient noises when riding. I do not use the radio, so I cannot comment on that.

Last edited:
Just a kid? You made my day

Yeah the 2012 is a camhead. So many I kinda forgot that as it didn't seem much different than the 07RT I had. I WILL have the opportunity to ride them side by side as I have not yet gotten ready to sell the old one so that should be interesting. I am looking forward to having TPMS again as I am paranoid about tires getting punctured and losing air as I ride. Home Depot is on my "Banned" list because of all the screws and nails in the parking lot.

Jeff Dean you are my new idol...! :heart:heart

Subtle refinements

My last one before my 2017 was also a 2012 camhead, which I hold in high regard. Bulletproof and seemed built of one piece.. I haven't had this one long but it feels lighter on it's feet and it's definitely quicker. The clutch is much lighter and shifting is smoother. It also feels a bit more "plasticky" compared to the camhead, meaning the fairing pieces and side case shells seem to be lighter and thinner, lending less of a quality feel.

I never listen to the stereo so can't comment there but I have a communication device ordered for the helmet so will give it a shot with the NAV VI and Spotify. Mine is also fully loaded, and there are many goodies to keep you entertained on the road, to the point of distraction. It's almost overwhelming at first, just like the Audi I bought last year.. technology overload. But most of it is useful.

Overall I really like this bike - they have continuously refined it and I'm sure it will eat miles as well as the last.

The first BMW I rode was a 2012 RT, and I remember how light and agile it felt in comparison to my 600cc Yamaha. Finances dictated buying a used R1200R, but I remember how nice the wind protection was, and how hard the bike pulled. When I upgraded to my '15 RT, the features I loved on that '12 were still there, but made even better! The stereo will never be mistaken for a Bose system, but it works well through my Bluetooth system. I think the hardest change between the two bikes was getting used to having both turn signals on one handlebar switch...

Back