• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding a Fifth notch to my Holiday Ride

sddinnh

On Monday (Memorial Day) I left from my base near Portsmouth NH and once again headed back up into the mountains. I wanted to satisfy my curiosity and go thru Evens Notch.

So I made a quick run West on Rte 4 and then North on Rte 93 up thru Franconia Notch. Just South of Lincoln, I encountered a US Border Patrol stop on Rte 93, although what the Border Patrol is doing stopping cars 100 miles South of the border, I have no idea. It was, however, and impressive operation with several Border Patrol cars and a tent set up in the median on the South bound side. Since I was headed North, it didn't slow me down any, but it was interesting to see non the less.

North of the Franconia Notch, I turned North on Rte 3 and once more I made a breakfast stop at Monroe's Restaurant in Twin Mountains for a 3 egg omelet.

After Twin Mountains, I continued North on Rte 3 and then turned North on Rte 115 to make the run over to Gorham. This is a nice scenic stretch of road that connects Rte 3 and Rte 2 and is well worth driving if you are up that way.

Just East of Jefferson, I got onto Rte 2 and headed West thru Gorham to pick up the North end of the Evens Notch road for the run South on Rte 113.

The beginning of the run into the Notch is a pleasant run along side a stream, with the forest canopy hanging over the narrow 2 lane road. Although closed during the winter, I found the road to be in excellent condition with only mild frost heaves and no potholes.

Going into the North End of Evens Notch

EvensNotch1.jpg

EvensNotch2.jpg

Once up into the "height of the land", I found several nice scenic pull offs with nice views of the Notch. As "advertised", the road in and out is narrow, but well paved with a nice variety of corners to keep you "interested".

In the Notch

EvensNotch7.jpg

EvensNotch5.jpg

EvensNotch6.jpg

EvensNotch3.jpg

EvensNotch4.jpg

The run South back to connect to Rte 302 in Fryeburg ME is a pleasant run thru country dotted with small farms. In Fryeburg, I continued South on Rte 113 to intersect with Rte 5 South and an eventual connection to Rte 202 West and home. This route takes you thru a pleasant combination of good roads, dotted with small Maine towns like Cornish. The only real holiday traffic I encountered was on a short stretch just outside of Rochester NH where Rte 202 overlays Rte 16 for a ways. Otherwise, it was a very pleasant 250 mile run and the weather was gorgeous with temps in the mid 70ÔÇÖs and not a hint of rain.

Back