• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS III fault

awagnon

About three years ago, my ABS unit on my 2002 1150RT crapped out, so I removed it and rode with non-ABS for three years. I finally got around to re-installing the ABS as a winter project. Long story why it took so long. Anyway, the ABS module was "fixed" by Module Master of Idaho and checked out fine. I installed the unit and all was well until bleeding the front lower wheel circuit. Now I get a fault: "Integral ABS 17914: Faulty power supply to warning lamp relay." I have a new battery, fully charged. Unable to clear the code as the problem persists. I found an identical post from 2008, but no resolution. Anyone have any idea where to start. The brakes actually seem fine when testing them. One other thing, when I run the diagnostics with my GS911, it says the voltage to the ABS is only 9.2 Volts while the battery is showing 12.8 volts. Is that normal? Any help would be appreciated. Plan B is to remove the *#@$% ABS again and live without it.

I posted this same question on the BMW Sport Touring forum.

Al

Well, I fixed my own problem. I removed the warning lamp relay. Cleaned the contacts and replaced it. Working fine now. What a relief. Sorry I didn't try this before posting my question.

Al

Well, I fixed my own problem. I removed the warning lamp relay. Cleaned the contacts and replaced it. Working fine now. What a relief. Sorry I didn't try this before posting my question.

Al

Good.
Thanks for sharing.

Ah... cleaned the contacts....... contacts of where the relay plugs into the socket...? or contacts internal to the relay...?

Module Master's website still indicates that the R1150RT ABS module rebuild is still under development. How did you go about getting them to repair it? I've got one in need of repair also. What was the cost?

Al;

Interesting that you were able to get the RT module repaired. A fellow BB member has been trying unsuccessfully to get Module Masters to repair the unit form his 2004 R1150RS. They keep telling him they cannot get parts for his unit, so I'm surprised they were able to do anything with yours. Good to know, though.

Best,

DG

daveredman: I just removed the relay, cleaned the pins, and re-inserted. Can't be sure if it just wasn't fully inserted before or the pins were corroded. I did not open it to get to the actual relay contacts. In any event, it fixed it.

Kioolt and GTRider: Module Master had the ABS III unit for about a year when I sold the bike without it. When I bought the bike back, the owner said, by the way, I was able to get the ABS fixed and threw it in with the bike. I had to re-install it. Before starting the re-install, I phoned Module Master to be sure it was really fixed and they sent me a receipt showing it had been repaired and tested plus included a three year warranty ( 5 years on ABS II ) and the other guy had paid $ 350 plus shipping for the repair. I don't know what he did since I never had any luck with them. Also, I think there are some things they can fix, and others they can't with their available parts. Or maybe, they just don't want to mess with them.

BTW, Devern. The guy who had the bike and got the ABS fixed lives in Logan. PM me if you want his name. Maybe he can give you more information.

Al

Back