• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A new vibration

jagarra

Gerard
I had just finished the yearly ritual of flushing the brake system on my 11RS, among the other things I did was a canisterectomy and I changed the rear bit of the front fender to a longer style to keep debris off the motor front. Since my seat came back from Russell yesterday I figure today would be a good day for a ride. I was enjoying the new seat but also I could feel a vibration coming through the seat of my pants. First I thought it was the longer fender, but no, it was from the motor. I could feel it as I revved the motor, so I am trying to figure out what changed and if It was there all the time and I just didn't notice it before on the old seat. When i got back from my ride I put a sync gauge on the bike and they were balanced until I pushed it to the most sensitive scale, then off a little.

Before the Canisterectomy the throttle bodies were linked by a vacuum hose that was Teed to a vent from the tank. After that we just block the throttle bodies off individually so there is no longer shared vacuum. I mention this because when I had Kawasaki fours we always linked the carburetors vacuum ports as 1-4 and 2-3 with a hose, we felt it made the bike run smoother. So the question is has anyone noticed any changes after removing the canister.

I may link the ports again just to see if the vibration changes and satisfy my curiosity.

A new vibration UPDATE

Before I took my ride today I pulled the side panels off and ran the original hose with the T back to the throttle bodies, capped the T and I went for the ride. Bike was a bit cold blooded, but finally was working and idling good. I did notice less of the vibration or pulses that I was experiencing yesterday. Went on a spirited ride in the "cow counties" of Nevada, so few LEOS, speeds pushing ton or more . Mileage improved from yesterday (44.65 to 45.45) about .8 miles per gal.

To me that says you haven't been picky enough with the valve adjustments plus the throttle body balance.

Back