• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A good source for camping gear?

beeryboats

I've been slowly testing the waters for camping gear. I have a 2001 R1100RT and I'm looking for a tent and sleeping bags. All I can find at local sporting goods or Wallyworlds are family tents or 2man kids tents. And here in the midwest with night time temps in the 70's who needs a heavy sleeping bag? Can anyone tell me how these "stuff bags" work? I did find a couple of 3/4 length sleep pads on ebay cheap. But a 3 man tent and light weight sleeping bags are hard to find. I just received a catalog from Tourtech that has a bunch of good stuff, but I'm sure it's overpriced as it's all from Europe.
Thanks, Jay

I'll second CampMor, great store with great prices. I would add that I bought a Northface VE-25 and a -20 sleeping bag both at about 75% off, at the NorthFace outlet in Freeport, Maine :) LL Beans used to be a great place but the prices have gone up and the quality of the Bean-branded products has taken a serious nosedive (though they still stand by them better than most...)

pm me an address I'll send you a tent, only used 3 days at moa national. I was given a few to take.

use it for a few trips to decide if you like camping and decide what you want in a tent, before you buy one.

www.amazon.com. Find the gear you want at the spendy places, then price it at Amazon. You may be pleasantly surprised.

REI also has a rental program, so you could do that for a trip or 2 if you didn't feel ready to buy.

www.sierratradingpost.com

I've bought a bunch of North Face, Marmot, and Lowe Alpine stuff from them for over 50% off. Sign up for their email specials. Lots of good stuff on closeouts.

I've never bought from them, but depending on what you're looking for www.kitterytradingpost.com seems to have good prices. At least on the Exped Downmat I'm considering. If anybody has any experience with this place please holler. Thanks

Sarah

I cant say enough good things about REI. Prices aren't too bad, the sales staff actually use the stuff they sell so they can tell you more about it than what is already printed in the catalog (unlike Campmor). They have THE best return policy of any place I've dealt with and I've delt with them all. For instance, they allowed me to return two used sleeping bags that I had been using for 4 years for thier original purchase price simply because I had decided that they didn't keep me warm enough at night.
The REI branded stuff is top quality and is often as good as and cheaper than similar stuff from North Face or Mountian Hardware.
My second favorite brand is Marmot. They have excellent quality and great customer service. They make some of the best sleeping bags too.

have fun shopping!

I second REI! Top quality gear. I've used my REI tent for 10 years and have had no problems! It's rock solid in high winds and heavy rain. No leakage. Well wroth the money.

I just had to bring this topic back to the top of the board as I just found out about a type of sleeping bag that is so compact it fits in a side case! I just wish I could remember if the guy told me what brand it was! He told me it would wad up so small that two would fit in the side bag. I'm sure it must be pretty light weight, but in the mid-west most summer nights only get into the low 70's at night anyway. Any idea what brand or model he's talking about?
Jay

My guess is that it was a down bag. Probably a 40 deg rating with 800 fill power down. I have one and it will stuff down to the size of a grapefruit. They're rather expensive, but they are very warm and light weight. I also use mine on backpacking trips so I was willing to pay more for a sleeping bag that weights just a pound. Marmot makes the best down bags for the price.
During the summers in the midwest my girlfriend and I camped for a week with two air pads, the one sleeping bag and a silk sheet I found at a thrift store. All of our sleeping gear fit in a dry bag that was about the size of the stuff sack for the tent. However, it would have easily fit into a side case with room to spare.

Jay, sleeping bags that stuff small are not all that new- but a really great thing. Some stuff down to around half the size of an Integral bag, some more like the aforementioned grapefruit. I suggest doing a bit of shopping. Go to stores and check the stuff out up-close, learn as much as you can, ask questions, etc. If you have an REI store in your town, go to their FREE classes about backpacking and camping- good info.
Also, don't throw out those huge old flannel-lined bags- they come in handy at home for guest-overflow (SUPER-comfy when used with a good air-mattress) or other uses.

Back