• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'99 K1200RS Whats the hot tire these days?

IBA# 5819
My 99 K12RS is going to need tires very soon.
When I bought the bike it had Michelins on it and I wasn't impressed. I put Pirelli Angel GT's on and was very impressed with all aspects of their performance. I got about 8k out of them.
I have always been a Metzeler guy and am thinking of the new Roadtec Z8 Interact's which seem to be getting some decent reviews.
The price difference is not a factor.
I'm a conservative but spirited rider who only rides solo.
Whats the consensus? Are there any others I should throw into the mix?

Thanks!

JP

(Originally posted in the wrong forum)

Guys are getting great wear and solid performance from the Michelin Pilot Road tires The latest gen has 4 & 4GT. I have Pilot Road 3s on my 02 k1200RS and love them.

I would highly recommend the Pilot Road 4's. Great tire in the rain. Great mileage to at least 10k. Not so well with punctures. The last two rears would have easily made it to at least 13k if it wasnt for punctures.:(

I would highly recommend the Pilot Road 4's. Great tire in the rain. Great mileage to at least 10k. Great for curves. Not so well with punctures. The last two rears would have easily made it to at least 13k if it wasnt for punctures.:(
By the way I have an 98 K12RS with 176k miles. The last 4-5 set of tires on my bike have been the Pilot Road series.

Thanks for the input. That throws three into the mix...maybe I need to take a second look at the new Michelin's.

I have PR4's on my 2003 K12GT and very happy with them. I usually end up riding in some sort of down pour in my travels.

PRIII vrs Roadsmart 2

I've run both of those tires, all be it on a Honda Blackbird. I loved the Dunlops for traction and ride quality, but only got 2500 miles on a rear (Ok, that bike was dynoed at 155hp at the rear wheel, which was impossible not to tap into at every opportunity). Next I went to the Pilot Road IIIs, and got nearly 5000 miles, with every bit as much traction. I have a friend that had 6500 miles on a K1200RS and it looked like it was good for many more. Add Michelin's rain reputation, it's a no brainer.

As a side note, The '93 K1100RS I just bought came with new Metzler Z8s, and I don't know about mileage yet, but I have no complaints on wet or dry traction or ride quality.

For what it's worth.

Thanks to all who replied.
I think I'm going back to the Pirelli's.
I'm happy with all aspects of that tires performance.

Back