• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

96 R1100RT Starter Issue ??

paed

96 R1100RT Starter Issue ?? Back up and running

OK folks of knowledge, please guide this wrench wannabee. Two weeks ago out for a 200 mile Covid ride visiting 4 state parks. Bike started normal in AM, but on final 2 stops starter cranking slow, barely started, and ABS lights flashing. Put on smart charger for a few days, still slow crank, but did start. Got new battery and charged it. Today attempted to start with old battery, no starter crank. Wasn't paying close attention, but I think fuel pump did cycle and starter clicked. In goes the new battery, same result. Fuel pump cycles, strong click at starter, no starter crank. Gave the starter a few wacks with a small dead blow, no soap. I'm thinking sticky/faulty starter. Not kickstand or clutch switch as click at starter would indicate power to starter, correct??? What's my next move? The circuit diagram shows a red wire from alternator to starter. No idea what that is about.

Electrically Challenged :dunno

Last edited:
I am gonna suggest starter is toast but at upward in $$$.$$, I would go back an back and make sure ground wires are good. I would take them off, and clean, reconnect and see what happens.

Lots of ways to test and make sure but the tools you need to make the best guesstimate will run you $$$$.$$.

I did check wires to starter and all appeared OK. Starter is likely original 24 years old with 60K on bike. I think I'll pull it and see what falls out. New Valero is 200 Georges at Boneyard!!!

These symptoms are typical of what happens when one or more of the magnets in the starter come loose. That was a frequent problem with starters on R1100 bikes. You need to remove the starter and inspect it. If you do in fact find a loose magnet then you should check out Euro MotoElectrics. They have starters for you bike for $119.00.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1910.htm

I did check wires to starter and all appeared OK. Starter is likely original 24 years old with 60K on bike. I think I'll pull it and see what falls out. New Valero is 200 Georges at Boneyard!!!

Perfect fit starter from DB Electrical for about $60.

I put one in my 2001 R1100RT in 2017, 36k miles ago. Easily over 1500 starts.

Thanks Yoda and Paul. I'll pull it and take a look see. Always something with a 24 year old bike. But it still runs great and it's paid for. :dance

In conclusion

Outwardly the original starter appeared OK. It spun, but felt a bit Wonky for lack of a better term. Like there was a high spot. Bolted up the Chinese starter, and away we go. Turning over better than she has in a long while. See post # 5, starter from DB Electrical was $46.52 delivered UPS ground. It looked and fit Zackly like the Valero. I would have felt better about the deal if the starter had come with a disclaimer stating that no bats were harmed in the manufacturing process :eat :laugh. I will take the old starter apart to have a look see, but right now it's time to ride:bolt

Back