• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'95 K75 ABS Secondary and Tail-Light Dash Idiot Light

stagewex

1995 K75

Since I've returned from a trip to Daytona Beach to watch the races and Pirate Week the red idiot light that lets you know that the ABS is okay (or not) and the tail light is working has been on. Not the one that says "ABS", the secondary one that has the Triangle Caution Symbol on it.
Usually it goes out just a bit after I drive down my street. I checked the brake light and it does work at the handle-bars and at the foot brake. But the rear lens is dark other than when the brake light is working. In opening it up I found that the smaller bulb that looks like it is primarily for the clear part of the lens to illuminate the license plate was blown. Maybe it happened from the bike on the trailer bouncing around 1000 miles from Daytona to NY? In any case I have replacement bulbs and will put them in when I get home tonight.

In the owners manual it refers only to the brake lights not working which would keep this particular idiot light glowing on the dash and not the other bulb. Is it really for both? They are what looks like grounded together.

Is the brake light bulb also supposed to illuminate the lens as a whole or does that little lower (license plate) light do that? I only see one filament in it.

IMG_2629.jpg

If the tail light bulb is out, the red triangle will light. The bulb monitor checks both brake switches,the brake light bulb and the tail light bulb.

Mike,

The smaller bulb is your taillight bulb (the one that keeps cars from running into the back of you at night) and it also happens to light up the plate. The bulb monitoring system also checks that bulb. That is why the warning light is on. Easy fix, replace bulb.

The bulb monitoring system requires that, after starting the bike, you activate the front brake and the rear brake (in either order) to clear the system and have the light go out.

The ABS monitoring system requires that you get the bike up to around 5 mph for it to check the signal from the sensors and turn off the ABS light.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks guys. Exactly the way you said although falls short in the owners manual. There must have been something funky about that little bulb since I bought the bike a few months ago. Now when I touch the hand brake and footbrake upon starting this particular idiot light blinks in exact cadence with the smaller ABS warning light. Go down the block a bit and then that goes out as well. I assume this is how it actually supposed to work? Sometimes the light would stay on for awhile. I cleaned all contacts and added a tiny dab of dielectric grease to all contacts. All is well.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Exactly the way you said although falls short in the owners manual. There must have been something funky about that little bulb since I bought the bike a few months ago. Now when I touch the hand brake and footbrake upon starting this particular idiot light blinks in exact cadence with the smaller ABS warning light. Go down the block a bit and then that goes out as well. I assume this is how it actually supposed to work? Sometimes the light would stay on for awhile. I cleaned all contacts and added a tiny dab of dielectric grease to all contacts. All is well.

yes. the blink means the abs has not been tested yet. a solid light means one of the brake light circuts is out or had not been used yet to test.

Back