• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'94 K75RT - Notes on a gas cap rebuild

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

A while back I noticed a little water in the gas cap after a bad storm, I cleaned the drain vent with some weed whacker line and ordered the $35 rebuild kit from Bob's. Max carries the kit for a few bucks less (#16 11 9 062 461), without a metal gasket that doesn't need to be replaced anyway. Today was spring clean up for the K75 with new engine, trans and final drive fluids, and yes, finally the gas cap.

The rebuild kit came with six pieces: the big rubber gas cap assembly collar, a foamy gasket, a hard rubber and matching metal gasket, and two blue O-rings, one large and one smaller. Two pieces that should also be included but weren't, a dime-sized flat gasket, and a black o-ring the same size as the larger blue o-ring - i'll have to go back and replace those at some later time. One thing you also ought to buy, the four screws holding the assembly to the tank - cheap insurance, and as yours are probably a bit corroded on the threads and the head a bit chewed up like mine, due for replacement.

Watch the Chris Harris video:
http://youtu.be/Mwpt9IumBCc
Then watch it two or three more times as almost everything you need is there. I will add:
First, my gas cap had a LOT of corrosion around the collar gasket on both the filler assembly and the tank itself. It took some careful brushing with a brass brush to get it all cleaned up. Note, do NOT use a steel brush especially on the tank side of the equation as it is likely you are spraying it down with a flammable solvent while your hand is inside the big hole in your tank holding up a dish towel to keep any reside from entering the tank. Brass brush, Harbor Freight $4 a set for the win.
Second, you will need a pick to get the O-rings out - $1 at Harbor Freight for a set.
Third, it is much easier to get the innards back together than portrayed in the video so don't be intimidated. Just study how the spring ends meet up with the slots on both sides, insert that way then turn until it clicks in place. Easy. Test that you got it back together right before you close the cap assembly :)
Last, clean everything as you go. I used WD-40 and a half a roll of blue shop towels. Amazing how filthy everything was in there.

This took me about 30 minutes tops and was about as hard as changing the fuel filter (aka easy). It was pretty amazing how spent the parts were, the foamy gasket literally came apart as I removed it. Gas cap is now nice and snug with a nice firm click when closing.

Back