• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

92" R 100 R questions

godfather

I'm kickin tires right now...What can you tell me about a 92" R 100 R...any known problem areas or anything to look out for? 49k well maintained 2 owner bike. TIA

Hello,

I have owned a '92 R100R for 10 years now and Really like it. This is probably the best handling airhead ever made. A combination of the classic airhead engine and Showa front/Paralever rear suspension. I added a Fox Twin Clicker and it's even better.

Cons? Some don't like the single front disk, but I have no complaints.
Repairs so far ( at ~51,000 mi.) : Replaced trans. output shaft seal, pushrod tube seals, and steering head bearings (new rings just because the engine was already apart for the pushrod seals).

As always, maintenance records mean a lot - have the splines been lubed?

These are great bikes - Good Luck.

mike

Good buy

I favor the 92 to 95 series Airheads. I had a 93 R and wish I never sold it. When I was looking for another Airhead I found my current ride, but still love to add a 92 to 95 R 100 R to my garage. The only thing that I would change in a 92 model, is add the second front brake, that is standard on the 93 through 95 models. Otherwise they are just as robust as the other later model Airheads. If the finances are right, you can't go wrong buying it... you will have no problems selling it if you don't like it.

I'm kickin tires right now...What can you tell me about a 92" R 100 R...any known problem areas or anything to look out for? 49k well maintained 2 owner bike. TIA

Not a show stopper but the original valero starter was known to fail by having the magnets come unglued. The new valero no longer have that issue. Bosch and nippon denso also have quality replacement starters. If it has been replaced your good to go, otherwise figure $200 - $350 for a replacement.

one obvious problem-underpowered, air cooled, push-rod, carbureted twins
were obsolete about 40 years ago!

Back