• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

86 k100 speedometor

pfetter

1986 K100RT, 135000 miles
I have a 86 k100 that the speedometer is acting weird. It will usually hang around 20 or 25 MPH and then when I back off throttle it might jump up to the 40 range. I am new to BMW's. I also have a couple other questions in other posts.

Just about every early K100 has had its speedometer replaced under warranty. If not then you get all kinds of funky readings or no readings at all. The IBMWR tech section has a section dealing with these problems.

And since your new to K100's the annoying rattle from the exhaust heat shield is common to. You can futz around trying to keep it quite, or you can take the shield off and throw it as far as you can. This solution is the only permanent fix.

Just about every early K100 has had its speedometer replaced under warranty. If not then you get all kinds of funky readings or no readings at all. The IBMWR tech section has a section dealing with these problems.

And since your new to K100's the annoying rattle from the exhaust heat shield is common to. You can futz around trying to keep it quite, or you can take the shield off and throw it as far as you can. This solution is the only permanent fix.

a note on both problems. The speedo issue is a pain but easily fixed in most cases. I'm a pay and have someone else do it sorta gal and will be sending mine at Palo Alto speedo in CA this coming winter. As far as the heat shield I just had a new one put on my bike. It turns out the OEM part has a screw that rusts out and eventually vibrates like mad in a untouchable spot where it attaches on the wheel side of the muffler. The new one I had put on works like a very quiet mouse.

I have a 86 k100 that the speedometer is acting weird. It will usually hang around 20 or 25 MPH and then when I back off throttle it might jump up to the 40 range. I am new to BMW's.

They all did that, eventually. It's due to corrosion on a copper pronged plug inside the speedo housing. (Not corrsion that is bad enough to see, just bad enough to mess-up a very low voltage circuit connection). Every 18 months to two years, I dis-assemble my speedo pod and clean the connector. It's become part of my routine maintenance.

I am looking at buying a 85 K100LT- The owner said he replaced the whole speedometer. He suggested it was part of owning the 85 era bike- looks like you need to make that happen as well. good luck

Heat shield rattle

My 87 K100LT had 2 of the nut holders broken. Had a guy weld all four nuts to the muffler. No rattles. Cost $5, Free if you can weld.

Back