• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

78 100/7 tire size and pressure for the Michelin activ pilot tires

Am considering purchase of the new Michelin activ pilot tires for my 100/7.
What size and pressure guidelines seem to be working for those that are using this particular tire?
Thanks, Ahrens 78 100/7

I have these tires on my /7. Front is 3.25x19 while rear is 4.00x18. I ride solo all the time and run 32 psi front 36 psi rear...I bump the rear pressure a couple of psi if I'm touring and I have the saddle bags full.

I really like the Pilot Active tires. I buy the original sizes, 3.25 x 19, 4.00 x 18. I tend to run them a little higher ... 34-36 front, 35-38 rear.

Last edited:
Michelin Activ Pilot tire size & pressure

I use the same tires, 3.25 x 19 front 33-34 psi, 4.00x18 rear 36-39 psi. I ride solo and bump the rear to 39 when loaded for overnights (37 psi most of the time). Over 5k on the Michelins and plenty of tread left (60%). Great tires

78 100/7 thank you /. tcsales1 /. michael

[Thank you all for the feedback on the Michelins. I am going forward with the purchase. Am excited to be on a safer, more grippier set.
Many thanks, 100/7 Ahrens

QUOTE=tcsales1;1046100]I use the same tires, 3.25 x 19 front 33-34 psi, 4.00x18 rear 36-39 psi. I ride solo and bump the rear to 39 when loaded for overnights (37 psi most of the time). Over 5k on the Michelins and plenty of tread left (60%). Great tires[/QUOTE]

[Thank you all for the feedback on the Michelins. I am going forward with the purchase. Am excited to be on a safer, more grippier set.
Many thanks, 100/7 Ahrens

QUOTE=tcsales1;1046100]I use the same tires, 3.25 x 19 front 33-34 psi, 4.00x18 rear 36-39 psi. I ride solo and bump the rear to 39 when loaded for overnights (37 psi most of the time). Over 5k on the Michelins and plenty of tread left (60%). Great tires
[/QUOTE]

I have these tires, and they seem to be great - however, I never push it or ride aggressively.

I usually put the pressure up higher than most folks, as I try to run around 36 and 40 front and rear.

When I first got both tires on, I went over an interstate that had about 4 or 5 miles of those rain grooves that run parallel to the highway, where most tires make bike feel a little "squirrely" but the Pilots worked great. I had gone about 1 mike on the grooves before I even knew they were there, and that was because I looked down!

78 100/7

That is good to know regards to the rain grooves. My current Metzlers tend to want to follow these guys. I too would rather have my ability dictate where I want the front tire to go, rather than the road doing so.
Thanks for the good news... Ahrens 100/7

So I've got some worn out Michelins Pilot Activ on my 1978 R-80, they were great.
I'm looking at some Avon Road Riders now and a question.
Does the 90/90 x 19 compare to the stock 3.25 x 19 or are they narrower?
Or do I want the 100/90 x 19? They Avons come in the inch size for the rear but not the front.
I've got these Avon's on my K75 RT and they are a very nice tire too.
Thanks in advance

Are you sure about that regarding inch-size Roadriders? I just went to the Revzilla website and looked at the AM26 tire...they list inch-size for both front and rear.

A 90/90 tire is nominally 90mm or 3.5 inches wide. 100mm would be slightly over 3.9 inches wide. These are nominal numbers...there's no guarantee that a 3.25 inch tire is actually 3.25 inches wide. Dimensions will vary between manufacturers. But it's a good rule of thumb.

Most likely your R80 front fender could take the wider tire...earlier fenders, /5 and early /6 I believe, had an internal stiffener which made wider tires pretty tough to fit in there.

But wider is not necessarily better. Because of the wider distance, it can make it hard to turn in because the geometry has to lift the front end over that distance.

Hey Kurt
Thanks for that Revzilla thing.
Motorcycle Superstore does not list that Avon Roadrider in inch sizes for the front.
I'm gonna order a set from Revzilla

Back