• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'77 R100S: Carburetor functionality

I wouldn't think that would be much of an issue, but certainly you don't want to have parts left over after a rebuild! ;) I think these parts are washers and not o-rings.

Can you say more about what you actually did to "clean" the carbs? If you disassembled the enrichers (aka choke), putting them back together can affect how the bike runs. Could be an air leak...have you sprayed the carbs with say carb cleaner with the engine running...does the RPM change? Did you get the rubber diaphragms back together without any leaks? Are you mistakenly running in full choke when you think you have them turned off?

I think 11 is the o-ring that goes around the main jet/needle jet carrier.

12 goes between the main jet and the carrier and it is a washer. There's a wee possibility that without it you might starve the main jet in use. It exists to keep fuel near the main jet.

I have Type 64-3 carburetors. I've cleaned them, but my bike still won't run well (or start sometimes). I think there's a couple of washers missing from the area the needle jet goes, based on the diagram. Will this cause the carburetors to function improperly and thusly affect the engine?

The parts are numbers 11 and 12 on this diagram:
BingAgency_MOTORCYCLE-CV-EXPLODED-VIEW.jpg

Maybe helps.

OM