• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2025 Automated Shift Assistant (ASA)

Geekmaster

Just saw this post from BMW Motorrad in my X feed today (see attached photo). I replied and asked "On which upcoming models?" and they said it will be optionally available for selected 2025 models. Looks like interesting technology and that it may be available on a GS model. Also looks like it might be similar to Honda's DCT, as there is no clutch lever.

Here's the screenshot from the post:

Attachments

• BMW-ASA.png
    BMW-ASA.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
All boxer motors for 2025 will be the 1300 and have the ASA option. Looking forward to seeing the R series RS, R, and RT 2025 models.

Reactions: lee
It’s a bit surprising to me they would develop an auto shift bike now.

Husqvarna, Honda, and Guzzi all had multi-speed autos in the late 70’s, Suzuki in the 80’s with their shaft drive 450, and I think Yamaha had one later with the FJR, but none of them ever really caught on. Also, belt- driven CVTs in modern scooters take some time to get used to, especially in low speed cornering maneuvers with no clutch to feather.

Are Hondas current DCT models selling well? Maybe that’s why BMW will offer similar?

Last edited:
Did BMW announce this?
My BMW Dealer confirmed this. Thankfully I am very happy with my new and 1st BMW, a 2023 RS configured and ordered built, and have no plans to upgrade. Change is what drives sales! Some have to have the latest and greatest. Newer is not always better!!

Honda MUST be doing well with their DCT bikes, as they have made it an option now on at least four models.

Also, I forgot the 850cc Aprilia Mana earlier, which I believe used a variant of Suzuki’s 650 Burgman CVT. That appeared to be a decent bike too, but again the concept just never caught on. Time will tell on the BMW implementation.

This sounds a lot like the YCC-S system I have on my 2007 FJR - not a full automatic transmission like the DCT but an automated clutch activation.

The Yamaha system disengages the clutch at idle and below a certain RPM, and when you shift with either the paddle shifter or the foot shifter. It doesn't change gears for you, but it prevents you from bogging or overrevving the engine by automatically slipping the (wet) clutch as needs be. So if you do something stupid like forget to shift down from 5th to 1st as you slow to a stop, it will slip and eventually disengage the clutch rather than bogging the engine, and when you open the throttle to get going, it will slip the clutch enough to get you going in 5th gear (while angrily flashing the gear indicator at you). On the other hand, in a situation like a panic stop, you can just keep clicking the foot lever down and it will downshift at the appropriate points and you end up stopped in first gear with the clutch disengaged with no left hand action.

It does remove some of the "experience" of riding a motorcycle - you have no clutch lever to use to modulate speed - but it also eliminates the experience of having your left hand cramp up when you're sitting in stop-and-go city traffic.

Auto clutch and auto shift systems haven't been popular in the past but Honda's DCT is really popular and attitudes may change, like they did with fuel injection and anti-lock brakes which once upon a time were non-traditional and "ruined the riding experience" until people got used to them and figured out that not messing around with carbs and not crashing was actually an improvement to the riding experience.

I really like the Yamaha system but my FJR is 17 years old and YCC-S parts are unobtanium if they break. I was seriously looking at the DCT bikes but none of the options are anything I want - Africa Twin is way too tall, Gold Wing is too big and too $$$, NCT 750 is too tall, Rebel 1100 is too small (with me in riding gear it would be down to 10 lbs of remaining GVWR for luggage or a big lunch). If history is any judge, BMW's options will be too $$$.

I had an AT DCT for about 5 years that I specifically bought for commuting and it was sublime in that role. Not a single issue in 15k miles or so in all weather and temps. When in traffic just click it in "D", kick back and trundle along with one hand on the throttle. I sold it not long after I stopped commuting since I found I didn't enjoy riding it for pleasure. I also wouldn't be the target market for an electric motorcycle for the same reasons (not as engaging, noise, etc.). For getting from point A to point B on two wheels it was an excellent option, but I just didn't enjoy it for pleasure riding.

If BMW makes it a selectable mode and also includes a clutch lever and foot shifter then it might be a really slick option for people that want the best of both worlds. With the AT there was no clutch (only a parking brake lever set much farther forward than a clutch lever would be) and no foot shifter unless you bought it as an additional option. Even with the foot shifter there was no clutch though so it was basically like clicking the shift paddles but with your foot.

Back