• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2020 RT replacement battery

ramble

ohbeemer
Perhaps I missed it in the OM, but looking for the spec for a replacement. As far as I know it's still good. On my 14 the original was branded by BMW but made by Exile. Is Excide made in the states? Apparently Westco doesn't have one for this model.

Battery upgrade

Gotta tell ya, I resisted buying an Anti-Gravity Lithium battery for a long time because of the cost, despite my best moto buddy telling me how much better they were. He's just about right all the time. I finally took the plunge on my 2016 XR and when starting the faster spin of the starter was noticeable. The "restart" feature is truly fuzzy magic. When upgrading and farkling this XR, I'd resurrected the NAV V that came with the bike, and inadvertently left it on overnight and the bike was dead the next morning as I prepared to take a shakedown cruise after upgrading it. I pulled the seat off, hit the restart button and voila! Bike started just as strong. Great technology. I've gradually upgraded all my bikes to Anti-Gravity. I think it makes more sense for an "over the road" rider like myself as opposed to a rider whose main riding is mostly close to home. When you're hundreds of miles from your base, a dead battery is a major hassle. For that reason I would switch out my Yuasa batteries every 2-3 years to avoid a dead battery situation. The Lithium's tend to last much, much longer, so maybe more cost effective then a new gel mat battery every 2-3 years.

Just my .02

snow2022Trip.jpg

I chose not to go the lithium route in my bikes. When not being ridden at home, they stay plugged in to a couple BMW Motorcycle Battery Chargers.

When I'm travelling, I always carry a Micro-Start Sport jumper battery in the tour-packs, JIC. I have never had to use the jumper on my bikes but have on one of my trucks and a few friends bikes on the road. They're a good addition to any riders bag of safety goodies IMO.

They're also setup to support USB device charging so for campers - also a good solution to the unexpected.

JMO...

The Lithium's tend to last much, much longer, so maybe more cost effective then a new gel mat battery every 2-3 years.

I have to say that I believe your previous battery change regimen was a tad excessive.

But I agree that LiFe Phosphate batteries are the way to go, with the Anti-Gravity brand being a good choice.

Back