• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250 RT exhaust mods?

motorref

I just picked up a 2020 RT after selling my XR and I’m missing the roar of the exhaust; has anyone modified a stock RT exhaust, or do I need to pursue aftermarket upgrades?

TIA,
Kevin Long

Can’t help you other than warn you about the attack of the exhaust note crowd :hungover
Ford doesn’t make the Mustang sound like it does because people hate it ;)
Let us know how you make out.
OM

You might be able to make it louder, but will never "roar".

A kazoo will never sound like a tuba.

Buy aftermarket, don’t modify

I’ve always liked a little more bark for my bikes, not Harley obnoxious but louder than stock. This is the only aftermarket pipe I came up with in a 30 minute search. I have purchased exhaust from them before and they had unbelievably good service, but this was pre COVID-19 so YMMV. Here’s the link, https://emlineamoto.com/en/s-b12so21-halagt.html. I have never achieved good sound quality by drilling holes or even cutting apart stock mufflers and gutting them. The bonus for buying new is that at trade-in time you can put your unmodified mufflers back on and sell your aftermarket piece to someone else. I bought aftermarket cans for my 2018 BMW Bagger from a company in England called Max Torque Cans, absolutely the best sound that you can imagine from that six cylinder. The cackle and burble using the quick shifter has to be heard to be believed. Dominator R from makes some very interesting products that are amazingly low priced for the quality received. Attached is a photo of their can for my 2020 R1250R, I made the exhaust hanger straps out of aluminum, a great little retirement project for me. Good luck in your quest!

Attachments

• EF24E717-07DC-44CF-A484-1D7CCB7B9DD4.jpeg
    EF24E717-07DC-44CF-A484-1D7CCB7B9DD4.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 589
I'm leaning in your direction

Kevin:

Yeah, I sorta' have the same itch. I'm not a fan of the looks of the BIG chrome tapered cylinder OEM unit. For my black (blue in the sunlight) '18 RT I'm thinking a black can would look better. I don't mind the stock muffler's sound, but wouldn't mind were it to be a bit more euphonious.

I put a pair of Yoshimuras on my previous FJR and loved the result. No perceptible change in power or handling but they looked better and made the Yamaha sound like a motorcycle instead of an Allis-Chalmers tractor. I kept the dB killers in; great sound without scaring the horses or annoying the neighbors. A completely irrational purchase that pleased me greatly. I'm looking at the Arrow and Remus units that Revzilla offers.

Don't know if I'll do it; to my mind it the FJR was screaming for it while on the RT I think of it more as a "nice" change.

Good luck whatever you decide!

I put the Akrapovic pipe on my RT and have been very happy with it.

I don't recall ever reading or hearing of someone disappointed in their Akrapovic. My only gripe is that I don't like the flared shape, similar to the OEM, of the unit for the RT. If it were constant cross-section shape from front to rear it would be at the top of my list.

Kevin:

Yeah, I sorta' have the same itch. I'm not a fan of the looks of the BIG chrome tapered cylinder OEM unit. For my black (blue in the sunlight) '18 RT I'm thinking a black can would look better. I don't mind the stock muffler's sound, but wouldn't mind were it to be a bit more euphonious.

I put a pair of Yoshimuras on my previous FJR and loved the result. No perceptible change in power or handling but they looked better and made the Yamaha sound like a motorcycle instead of an Allis-Chalmers tractor. I kept the dB killers in; great sound without scaring the horses or annoying the neighbors. A completely irrational purchase that pleased me greatly. I'm looking at the Arrow and Remus units that Revzilla offers.

Don't know if I'll do it; to my mind it the FJR was screaming for it while on the RT I think of it more as a "nice" change.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Thanks Bob - I've had Remus (VStroms), Two Brothers (Honda ST1300), and some factory upgrades (Victory) but never an Akrapovic, etc. Guess I need to get to some events to listen to them.

Thx!
KevinL

I just picked up a 2020 RT after selling my XR and I’m missing the roar of the exhaust; has anyone modified a stock RT exhaust, or do I need to pursue aftermarket upgrades?

TIA,
Kevin Long

You won't really get a roar out of the R1250RT, but you can sure get a much nicer richer sound by installing an Akrapovic slip on exhaust. I've had Remus & some other exhausts over many years & none are as nice sounding as the Akrapovic - IMHO. I usually ride without the insert & it's not too loud - has a nice rich sound according to the guys I ride with & they tell me it sounds real good when I get on the throttle. Some of the guys I ride with have the Remus & now they wish they had gotten an Akrapovic. I've also put on the Akrapovic titanium header w/o the flap on my 2018 R1200RT & it's great, again IMHO. I don't have any droning noise while riding & the sound of the exhaust is just a bit louder than stock while cruising, but she sure has a nice bark while you crank her open - makes me want to twist & shout more than I should :).
Here's a well done sound clip of the Akrapovic exhaust. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdNIQyhZDkY&list=PLaEaBu7K8xg13N-WaE_ClpwHzpSSPvm7r&index=1

Can’t help you other than warn you about the attack of the exhaust note crowd :hungover
Ford doesn’t make the Mustang sound like it does because people hate it ;)
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Late model performance Mustangs are fitted with either a “sound tube” or device that plays through the speakers so the driver can bathe in the engine noise of their vehicle without bothering the neighbors.

Maybe a similar device exists for motorcycles?

I have not been able to locate any aftermarket exhaust cans for the 2019-2020 R1250RT's. There are some choices for the 2013-2018 R1200RT's; but as far as I can tell, nothing is available for the R1250RT's.

TIA,
Kevin Long

FYI New York State is cracking down on modified exhausts- mostly, I believe, through their inspection process. I believe aftermarket won't present a problem. I don't see where you are so this may not be an issue. I'd also think that SOME aftermarket exhausts may (or may not) require some remapping? AFAIK Remus and Akrapovik are bike specific and I assume mimic stock backpressure and exhaust flow...just something to consider in your research.

I’m going to record my K1300S Akropovic running through the quickshifter anywhere above 5000 rpm for you so you can just Bluetooth it to your helmet speakers. It’s going to be cheaper and way more satisfying.

I really like the boxer motor and have actually ordered a new R1250 GSA but its exhaust note is not its strong point. Loud farts are still just farts.

As mentioned you won't get a "roar" out of BMW engine, just won't happen. I like the deeper sound of an aftermarket exhaust like that from Akrapovic. In my opinion they are the best sounding exhaust on a BMW hands down. I've had a number of different aftermarket exhausts on some of my past BMW's & I like the sound from the Akrapovic muffler. I've had them on my K1300GT, R1200RT's & on my current 2018 R1200RT. Some of my friends have the Remus on their bikes & they as well as others have commented that my Akrapovic sounds better. Yes, I know that sound preference is subjective. You'd have to decide this for yourself. Hope you find somethjing you like.

Back