• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 1250 RT front axle tool

ramble

ohbeemer
Looking for the hex tool that fits the axle for torquing the bolt. Best described as a Hex plug, about 2 in. long. Anyone know the size and source for ordering, Amazon?

You don't need anything to turn the axle since it's not threaded into the opposite fork leg like the HexHead/CamHead bikes.
The axle is tightened to 30Nm with the M12x20 bolt and then the 2 lower pinch bolts are tightened to 19Nm, so the axle pushes straight in and out rather than having any radial effort applied to it.

Last edited:
OK BoxFlyer, but one has to hold the axle somehow to torque the bolt, right? Nice straight forward video, Thanks

Last edited:
Not really, the Quick Release Axle shoulder is pulling tight into the RH fork leg when you are applying the torque on the M12 bolt on the LH side and so the axle does not turn...this is my experience over 12yrs of doing front axles on BMW bikes.
Yes, you need the above listed tool for the R1200 HexHead/CamHead and the K bikes, but not the WetHeads/ShiftHeads with the "Quick Release Axle"...that's why they call it that.

Alright, thanks again. Nice that you mentioned all the tool sizes and torque values, noted and filed. That muffler clamp socket is not one that I would have carried , but do now.

You might like to use these as a reference around your garage as well.
The Panel Screw sheets I get printed on 12x18in paper at FedEx Office and then use spray glue to mount them to a double layer thickness of dollar store foam core board.
Just poke the screws right thru the print into the foam core board as you take the screws out...it is handy for the first time you work on your bike to "un-screw" where the screws really should be!
Brad
i-MstLxc9-M.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-kgaPFnSzWcxbRdg6e9rA4_PMfgoULE3/view?usp=sharing

i-KKsRtTh-L.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18HbJdS71olkK3n7VNEl51XFbSyoCCP-7/view?usp=sharing

i-JfFbJ2c-L.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fjmj6-zxVi1KkNiWBKaj8tfMmMKfooZd/view?usp=sharing

OK BoxFlyer, but one has to hold the axle somehow to torque the bolt, right? Nice straight forward video, Thanks
I had a 2018 RT. It should be the same front end assembly. I never used a hex axle tool. I would slide the axle in place, run in the nut, tighten the clamp on the left leg and torque the axle nut. Then loosen the left side clamp and make sure it is "settled in" and retighten the clamp.

I notice the use of anti-seize on the exhaust. Will the silver anti-seize work or burn off? Is there a high temperature anti-sieve for exhausts.

You can use copper anti-sieze for high temps, but I have viewed videos that recommend keeping it dry . I always clean the mating areas with a wire wheel.

Your kilometers may vary.

;)

You might like to use these as a reference around your garage as well.
The Panel Screw sheets I get printed on 12x18in paper at FedEx Office and then use spray glue to mount them to a double layer thickness of dollar store foam core board.
Just poke the screws right thru the print into the foam core board as you take the screws out...it is handy for the first time you work on your bike to "un-screw" where the screws really should be!
Brad

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but are there Panel Screw sheets like that for the GS?

Back