• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 R1200RT Driveshaft Question

Had a 2014 GSA with 75k a few years back (pre-recall). U joint came apart at speed when I was 2 days away from home. Was able to safely coast to the shoulder & get a tow to Uhaul to rent a truck for the transport home. Out of pocket for the truck rental, new shaft and swing arm damage. Factory recall would have been a preferred alternative.
It is not a good idea to ignore vibrations

I believe one reason that the drive shaft is out of phase to get a working angle on the u-joint to prevent brinelling of the rear joint. I think the rear joint is pretty much in line with the driveshaft. Being a paralever, that angle does not change when the suspension is going up and down. In the past when working on heavy equipment we would see drive shafts come this way from the factory. It was very seldom that it was done, but the answer given was due to not being able to have canceling angles in the shaft assembly. It went against everything we were taught but accepted it and would assemble the same way if taken apart. My two cents is that moisture in swing arm is the big enemy. The way the boots seal is poor. I paid to have the vent installed on my 2016 RT two years ago and keep the splines greased. It only costed $80.00.

I believe one reason that the drive shaft is out of phase to get a working angle on the u-joint to prevent brinelling of the rear joint. I think the rear joint is pretty much in line with the driveshaft. Being a paralever, that angle does not change when the suspension is going up and down. In the past when working on heavy equipment we would see drive shafts come this way from the factory. It was very seldom that it was done, but the answer given was due to not being able to have canceling angles in the shaft assembly. It went against everything we were taught but accepted it and would assemble the same way if taken apart. My two cents is that moisture in swing arm is the big enemy. The way the boots seal is poor. I paid to have the vent installed on my 2016 RT two years ago and keep the splines greased. It only costed $80.00.
All the angles are in constant change and that is why universal joints are used, Constant Velocity joints are not normally used because of space and weight differences

I'll venture that the reason we dont see CV joints on our bikes, at least where the output shaft exits the transmission, is one of cost. Yamaha had a CV joint on their shaft drive 750 triple in 1976 .

This, plus the fact that the u-joints currently used seem to perform well in this application. I've never had one fail (or heard of one failing) in over 300,000km of BMW ownership. Maybe I live a sheltered life?

Last edited:
I'll venture that the reason we dont see CV joints on our bikes, at least where the output shaft exits the transmission, is one of cost. Yamaha had a CV joint on their shaft drive 750 triple in 1976 .

This, plus the fact that the u-joints currently used seem to perform well in this application. I've never had one fail (or heard of one failing) in over 300,000km of BMW ownership. Maybe I live a sheltered life?
I remember their 750 triple, a heavy 750,
On my r90/6 I managed to break the differential and not harm the u-joint,
I replaced the u-joints on my Guzzi when the tickling of my feet became overwhelming, and they were only slightly worn, I cannot imagine riding with the vibration until failure

I had a 1977 Yamaha XS7502D. I liked that shaft drive triple. I damaged the engine riding around in volcanic ash when I went to see Mount St. Helens the week after it blew up. They were still plowing ash off the streets in Yakima when I rode through. I traded that bike in on an R90/6.

And, Voni's R1100RS had the rear U joint break on the driveshaft at 203,519 miles, 400 miles from home In Arkansas. It did not lock up the rear wheel. I do know that Lyle Grimes had the driveshaft break on his R1100R, locking up the rear wheel, and fracturing the aluminum swingarm. I don't know what his meleage was when this happened though.

I had a 1977 Yamaha XS7502D. I liked that shaft drive triple. I damaged the engine riding around in volcanic ash when I went to see Mount St. Helens the week after it blew up. They were still plowing ash off the streets in Yakima when I rode through. I traded that bike in on an R90/6.

And, Voni's R1100RS had the rear U joint break on the driveshaft at 203,519 miles, 400 miles from home In Arkansas. It did not lock up the rear wheel. I do know that Lyle Grimes had the driveshaft break on his R1100R, locking up the rear wheel, and fracturing the aluminum swingarm. I don't know what his meleage was when this happened though.
I have photos of the sky in northwest Ohio a couple days after that eruption and saw a couple new car engines with cylinders destroyed,
It is not a healthy idea to ride until it breaks, I have buddies that could tell you that but they’re dead

a great trade up too

I had a front U-joint go bad (didn't break apart, but the bearings went and the yokes were rattling) on my R1100RS. I had a K16 come into the shop with a bad rear U-joint, too. It's not common, in my experience.

I had a front U-joint go bad (didn't break apart, but the bearings went and the yokes were rattling) on my R1100RS. I had a K16 come into the shop with a bad rear U-joint, too. It's not common, in my experience.

if someone tries hard enough it is possible to break everything
I have seen a bad rear joint on a low mileage K16, likely damaged before installation,
my nephew has a k16 that has performed perfectly for 20,000 miles

Back