• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT dirty intake valves after oil overfill

Doubt it is oil related. Looks more like carbon build up. More likely not enough good long highway runs to have have fuel washing the back of the valves.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've seen worse in some automobiles, enough so to cause poor idle.

The valves in my 2011 R1200R left cylinder head intake side look similar. Right side discoloration but no buildup. The only thing i can attribute the difference to is the crank case ventilation port into the air-box is directly adjacent to the left cylinder air intake and I believe the left cylinder receives more oil vapor and carryover that the right cylinder will see because of its proximity to the ventilation port. I've been guilty of running high oil levels and possibly overfilled crankcase once or twice, I'm careful to keep any eye on it now. After I observed the buildup I began to use techron fuel additive quite regularly every five tanks of fuel this may also be keeping the build up in check. The bike runs well and idles fine so its of little concern to me.

Thanks for the replies. I drained out a little oil just to get the sight glass dead center tonight after a short ride to the store, mostly just so I won't worry about it. Since I never had a reason to look at the valves before, I wasn't sure if it was self-inflicted or not. While I had what seems like 427 screws out to take both sides of the tupperware off yesterday, I did sync the throttle bodies, checked the cam chain tensioner bolt for leaks, and changed the air filter. All in all it was a win I guess.

But it sounds like the best option is to get out and run it a bit. I like where this thread is going!
Thanks!

Back