• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013-2017 gs "stop sale" order - Wethead stanchion issue

Recall

This issue is quickly being put to bed. Many if not all U.S. dealers have received a manual arbor press type tool to install compression rings around the suspect stanchion joints, and the rings. My bike was repaired a week ago Sunday with the rings as no gap was present. If a gap is present, the stanchions are replaced, period.

There may be fertile ground for discussing how this got out the door at BMW but the fix is in, period.

This issue is quickly being put to bed. Many if not all U.S. dealers have received a manual arbor press type tool to install compression rings around the suspect stanchion joints, and the rings. My bike was repaired a week ago Sunday with the rings as no gap was present. If a gap is present, the stanchions are replaced, period.

There may be fertile ground for discussing how this got out the door at BMW but the fix is in, period.

Not quite accurate. If the gap is between zero, and 0.2mm, bushings are press-fitted to both existing fork tubes. If there is a gap greater than 0.2mm, those bushings are press-fitted to new fork tubes.

So what good did it do for BMW to deny the problem for those YEARS. They had to fix it in the end. It is a design opps, they happen.

Rod

Hello Guys
I'm typing from Brazil.
I got my new R1200GS Adv two weeks ago.
And to be able to get BMW only release after made the recall.
So they put the rings but I am not sure that just this will solve the problem.
a88bc06d421daaf0d2c36fb2ed98c72f.jpg

Enviado de meu SM-N915T usando Tapatalk

Those "rings" are engineered tapered bushings that are put on with quite some precision and force. Best opinions say that they should prevent any further problems. Ride and enjoy!

Back