• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 RT Ride Report

ka5ysy

2011 R1200RT
This afternoon we unpacked a new RT and I had the pleasure of a quick test ride.

Initial impressions:

The new engine is very, very smooth, even compared to the Hexhead it is replacing. On the initial startup after fueling, everybody around the RT commented immediately that there was no "ticking". In other words there is no push rod or rocker arm noise out of the cylinder covers.

A walk-around of the bike reveals the changes visually. Everybody commented that the bike looked slimmer or smaller than the prior model. We actually put the 2010 beside the 2009 model and were able to spot some more changes not obvious to the eye, mostly small details in the cowling.

The windscreen is noticeably different with the "wings" at the upper edge. More on this later.

This bike is the Ostra Gray metallic matte. The interesting thing is that when you view this color scheme in the light, it is variously described as light brown, bronze, golden, or pewter. The only thing obviously gray on the bike is the trim under the saddle etc. Somebody in Germany is color blind. I cannot wait to see the other colors, especially the Polar metallic that seems to be a pale bluish coloration.

So to the ride: The quick look on the switch gear confirms that the turn signals are all on the left now, and the starter is now combined with the engine cutoff switch. This appears to be a good idea. The brake and clutch fluid reservoirs are sticking out in the air, and are very apparent when compared with the previous version. This will cause a lot of commentary from riders due to the change.

Starting the bike reveals another bit of information about the reservoirs. They shake ! I initially thought they were loose and shut down the engine to check. Surprise ! They are on a rubber mount, they are flexible thus the shake at idle. Curious setup here !!

The headlight switch will require some relearning of muscle memory to locate, as will not having the split turn signals we all have grown to love.

Restarting the RT, I departed the dealership for my usual test route, and instantly noticed that the engine torque curve is very different from the prior models and is very, very smooth in application of power. Running up through the gears is a joy with all the available torque. Cruising at 70 in 6th, I tried a rapid acceleration to do a pass maneuver and was rewarded with a hard shove in the seat. There is a lot of available reserve in this engine, and considering it is not yet broken in, it should become even smoother in the future, making for a very nice long range cruiser.

At highway speed, I played with the windscreen setting and I will rate the change in screen design, for me, to be an improvement. In the full up position, the wind buffet was non-existent and I was actually looking about 1" over the top of the screen which is ideal for most screens. That placed the wind buffet over the top of my helmet about 2", and I was able to open the Shoei Multitech without any buffet getting into the helmet. Altogether a great improvement over the prior screen for me. The wings on the screen appear to move the edge of the buffeting outward several inches at cruise speed, so I had a nice quiet ride without any wind rumble even with the helmet fully open (Chin bar up).

I usually ride a 2007 R1200R which is a delightful machine with low CG and flicks easily. The RT carries about 80 pounds more weight, and has a higher CG, but I was impressed with how well the bike handled. I had the suspension set for "comfort" and single rider, and then played with the sport setting. I did not note much difference, however I must say that I was riding the RT on brand new tires and did not push it hard to avoid any traction problem.

Slow maneuvers are a joy also. The RT is very well balanced. One of my favorite activities when riding is to see how long you can stay up at very slow speed without putting down a foot. While doing this at a stoplight, someone on a scooter came up beside me and had to put a foot down. I was still very slowly moving when the light changed and I noticed he was looking hard at the activity. At the next light, he asked me how I was able to do that on such a large motorcycle !

Moving to some sweeper turns also proved out the cruise control and the maneuvering capability of the RT. Again a joy to ride this machine.

First impression is that this is a winner of a machine that will be a joy to own for anyone needing a great motorcycle. I look forward to taking it out again when I have more time, and the tires get scrubbed a bit, to play and do my 80 mile loop on some real twisties to see how the suspension setups play.

Run, do not walk, and take a test ride on this motorcycle, It is great fun with the new engine !

Now where is my checkbook..... My RR is lonesome and needs a stablemate !

:thumb

Any info on the new windsheild fitting the '09 rt?

We did not look at the mount pattern for the windshields. I did note that the mounting bracket and mechanism appears to be stronger than earlier models.

For certain the existing bar backs will not work as the bolt pattern is totally different. The other change is that there are no empty holes on the handlebars for mounting other mirrors. The good news is that the current mirror setup works fine and you do not have a view of your knuckles as before that many complained of. I did not really have a problem seeing vehicles beside or behind me.

Nice review ka5ysy. The new engine sounds like a nice improvement. I hope a new R1200R comes out with it.

Excellent review of the 'new' R1200RT.

I wish mainstream motorcycle mags would be this informative when they review a bike.

Nice job!!! :thumb

I agree with the frequent observation that the hexhead motor seems to be smoother and more powerful at 15K miles than it does at 1K miles. The review above compares a "broken in" hexhead motor with the brand new camhead (?) motor and concludes that the new motor is in several ways already superior.

One thing slowing me down on getting the new RT is the prospect of undergoing the break-in period. (Another is $$). It's too bad you can't just start out with a 15K motor - it ought to be spectacular!

Quick! Someone get one of these things and get some miles on it. That way, you can tell the rest of us how to do the valve adjustment. :laugh By the way, what's the interval for the valves? Anyone know?

......Starting the bike reveals another bit of information about the reservoirs. They shake ! I initially thought they were loose and shut down the engine to check. Surprise ! They are on a rubber mount, they are flexible thus the shake at idle. Curious setup here !!

:thumb

Nice write up - i was wonderign if you noticed a sponge like device in the front bralke reservoir.

When the GT transitoned to the new style switchgear and the "exposed" reservoirs" they needed to have a recall for front brake fluid foaming potential - and that was addressed by haveing the foam peice added.

Thanks for the great review. Even though there seems to be some positive improvements and tweaking here and there, it's not enough for me to trade in my 07 for the 2010 model.

I agree with the frequent observation that the hexhead motor seems to be smoother and more powerful at 15K miles than it does at 1K miles. The review above compares a "broken in" hexhead motor with the brand new camhead (?) motor and concludes that the new motor is in several ways already superior.

One thing slowing me down on getting the new RT is the prospect of undergoing the break-in period. (Another is $$). It's too bad you can't just start out with a 15K motor - it ought to be spectacular!

The interesting thing I noted, as well as a couple of others that took a quick spin, is that the engine seems as smooth out of the box as the well broken in hexheads. My RR has has about 19000 miles now and the brand new camhead subjectively is as smooth. When you have some mileage on the new engine it should be fantastic :thumb

Solution to no additional mirror mount holes:

One of the "problems" several people have noted on the 2010 RT is that there are no mounting holes for addition of add-on mirrors or Ram Mount accessory mounting studs.

I looked at the handlebar clamps on the RT and they appeared very similar to the handlebar clamps on the R1200R, so today I pulled one off the RR and took it to the shop for comparison, and they will work on the new RT. Problem of mounting "stuff" is solved !:thumb

MirrorClamp003-1-1.jpg

MirrorClamp004.jpg

MirrorClamp005.jpg

I should get mine toward the end of April and can't wait. Thanks so much for the great review. Just one question, is it April yet:)

Ride Update

Today Judy and I took a 2 hour ride in cold weather to check out the performance of the new bike 2-up.

I put my 49litre case on the back as she likes the backrest on that case. Air temp started out at 48 degrees and ended with 62.

The route we took is my standard test-ride course looping south of Baton Rouge down Airline Highway (US61) and then via LA42 over to the River Road, then southbound along the river and looping back over to I-10. It contains short quick turns, and long sweepers left and right while generally following the river, city stop and go traffic and high speed interstate runs.

The net result is that the RT under all the various roads was that it, as usual, performed flawlessly. The engine is a joy and pulls strongly at all speeds. Slow speed control 2-up is outstanding and I could not feel any difference in riding solo and with a passenger.

At highway speed the new windscreen gets a A+ from Judy. Her comparison is a ride we took on a K1300GT when it arrived at our shop, and after a quick 20 mile hop down I10 she informed me that she was being beaten to death from the air blast . This ride, she was quite happy with the lack of windblast even at one point where I passed a group of trucks at 80mph.

The sweepers along the Mississippi River were done at the speed limit (65) with cruise on and is performed as expected, flawlessly. I will note that I was steering left-handed and was thumbing the cruise speed up and down with the cruise control lever, and that is cool !. Effectively you have two throttles on the bike !

Since it was cool, we had a chance to test the heated seats, which is a rare event in South Louisiana. Remember, the Saints won the Superbowl, and as a result we have had winter storm watches and warnings (read snow flurries) 4 times since the game. Anyway, Judy being a cold-natured person, we switched on the seat heat and I had the grip heaters on and we were both quite comfortable even without the heated liners in our jackets plugged in.

Playing with the onboard computer, I watched the MPG reading with interest at various speeds:

55 mph = 63mpg
60 mph = 58mpg
65 mph = 52mpg
70 mph = 48mpg
75 mph = 45mpg
80 mph = 40mpg

Remember this bike, at the end of my ride, has 105 miles on it. It will improve with break-in and should easily average 50mph in normal cruise mode.

I paid attention to wind blast locations this time. It appears that the new screen fully up places the blast about 4" outside my shoulders so no buffeting hitting me or Judy at any speed we ran today. There is a bit of air on my lower legs, but not objectionable.

I tend to sit forward against the tank, and Judy noted that when I slid back to the rear of my saddle, she was in a very quiet and comfortable zone without a lot of cold air getting to her . She reported that when I was sitting forward she got a bit more air that made her colder. Again, we did not have the heated gear on during the ride, so this would not be an issue with heated gear. It also indicates that there is enough air to the passenger that in hot weather there should be no overheating issues.

High speed sweepers are delightful, and the bike takes tight turns and several close S-curves on rails. The suspension was set for comfort and is perfect for our combined weight.

Since the bike is getting the tires scrubbed in a bit now, I got to lean it into turns a bit more aggressively on the sweepers, and it is totally comfortable and stable. The great torque available from the new engine is amazing when doing a proper "roll" step in the turns and makes the bike maneuver like a sport bike, not a cruiser. This sport-tourer is definitely capable of living up to its name, and is quite capable of embarrassing sport bikers in the twisties.

A final cool thing I have noticed, especially today: If you really get on the throttle, the exhaust note is a great low growl, much deeper tone than prior R's. I am sure the HOG crowd will take some notice of the authoritative exhaust note !

This is a worthy addition to the BMW family of R bikes. :thumb

If you do not want to spend money, you probably do not want to test-ride this bike. It is dangerous to your wallet. Unfortunately I have been infected and will probably succumb rather quickly, not the least reason being that my salesman liked the configuration I had set up on his computer and promptly ordered one "for inventory". Yea, right ! :banghead

Was visiting some relatives up in the area around Bob's BMW and they were wheeling one out as I got there. Very nice bike! The graphics on this one were awesome.

[I looked at the handlebar clamps on the RT and they appeared very similar to the handlebar clamps on the R1200R, so today I pulled one off the RR and took it to the shop for comparison, and they will work on the new RT. Problem of mounting "stuff" is solved !:thumb]

Hi

How do you mount the Ram Mount on to this handlebar clamp? Would you know if the JMCB-2003-BM Mounting Bracket Kit for GT/GS would fit on the 2010 RT. I have this CB and the Garmin GPS Zumo 550 and am wondering how i can fit all this on the bike. thanks

Hi

How do you mount the Ram Mount on to this handlebar clamp? Would you know if the JMCB-2003-BM Mounting Bracket Kit for GT/GS would fit on the 2010 RT. I have this CB and the Garmin GPS Zumo 550 and am wondering how i can fit all this on the bike. thanks

RAM makes a number of "threaded post mount" balls that will screw into the mirror mount clamp. You would then use the appropriate arm and ball mount to mount to the device you want to mount on the bike. Photo here:

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-threaded-post-b-ball-ram-b-239u.html

The ball forms the "base" for the mounting system.

RAM systems are practically unlimited, and you can make up systems for anything. Garmin actually has a number of RAM mounting systems for their GPS units.

Here is the RAM motorcycle mounting page:

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm

If you happen to have a West Marine store near, they stock a lot of RAM mount stuff that can be used on motorcycles.

Back