• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005K1200LT low speed wobble

IRIDEM

IRIDEM
I am the proud owner of an 05 LT . I previously owned a 2000 LT , great bike but with 63 k on the odo . I was smitten the gold 05 with 1900 mis on ebay at a dealer in Kentucky .

When I took it to my dealership for a once over the tech warned of a horrendous speed wobble at 35 mph if you take your hands off the wheel . BMW'S ANSWER DONT RIDE WITH NO HANDS ! Today I was trying to adjust my boot to keep out the cold 38F. took 1 hand off bars and It happened , what a wobble!!!!!!!!!!!!! It stopped when I tightened my grip on the bars . It was unintentional but boy did Ilearn a lesson .

Seems the problem stems from altering the front end rake . My 2000 never ever did this .

Anyone else experienced this phenomena?

I've been riding for 42 yrs. and consider myself a safe rider with no accidents since i was 17

My K75 did that.......

When I first bought my '92 K75 it had the same characteristic......a killer wobble at 35mph almost exactly. It was the old ME330's that were on it--very old ones with a bit of cupping noticeable. Replaced them with ME880's and it's stable at all speeds hands off. Now, that said, if someone has altered the rake, all bets are off for sure! Custom Sarge could prolly comment long and true about that one....

Me too on a 2001LT

It was the tire on mine and once changed out, all was fine. Its not come back, either. 880 Metzlers have been used exclusively and I got one that did not work too well. This was a couple years back and BMW has been confused, switching back and forth from Radials to Bias tires for the fronts and rears of KLT's. This has come straight from BMWNA at my dealer, as I've seen the memo's and they have switched this tire recommendation thing a couple times. If you have bias on the front, try radial next time for a most probable fix...the 880 tire is made both ways and I've had little to no trouble using both types on mine. Also, for another idea, have the telelever link checked, where it bolts/pivots in front of the shock. I've only seen one come loose, but I definately saw one here on line...I am confident you'll probably find the tire issue is whats up with your bike, as mine was. Happy LT'in,Randy13233:usa

tires

Re tires

I've always used Metzler 880's on both LT'S . My tech says the difference is in the front rake to improve low speed handling . Now know to be wary of this oddity . Still love my new bike . Off to deals' Gap and the Smokies at the end of the month . Wonder how the Ilium works boards will endure through the 318 turns .
IRIDM

Don't settle for less than great!

No wobble is present on a normal bike, so I stick by my tire thread and you should push your guy for a tire change up front. Any other answer is not good, from technical perspective and don't accept it as rake, slow speed performance thing. Thats a bad answer, imo. Other adjustments are easy for a BMW tech to go after as well, like the swingarm and rear drive pivot bearings, etc.. All can affect handling. Even a most basic wheel damage to the rim check should be done here and should not be dismissed. All of this is quick and easily done by a competent wrench. An hour at most! I am a wrench and would not accept less, either! Happy Trails, Randy13233...K1200LT and R100/7:thumb

Back