• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 K1200s pannier lock changes

woody99

Hi: has anyone have any info on changing locks on pannier bags 2005 k1200s, i got some off internet but it on older bags and doesn't seem right. Thanks Woody99

Hi: has anyone have any info on changing locks on pannier bags 2005 k1200s, i got some off internet but it on older bags and doesn't seem right. Thanks Woody99

Yes. There is a small screw on the inside of the bag that is in line with the lock. Removal of that screw will enable you to remove the lock with a probe IF you have the proper key in the lock. The probe will depress the bottom plate in the lock which holds the lock in when the key is inserted and depressing all the other plates.
What is wrong with your locks. Some dealers used to key the locks to another key by inserting the intended key and grinding off any plates sticking out. I think that method is sloppy. The plates should be replaced with all the proper plates for that key.
Also, in 2005, some of the locks purchased for the bags in the proper code for the intended key were difficult to change plates. There were retainers that kept the plates in which had to be removed by pulling the crimped chrome cap off the lock. These locks were really not intended to be re-keyed. If I had these locks, I would just order the locks that were intended to be rekeyed. I think the part number is 51257698204. Most internet dealers will not sell these to you, but in person at any dealer, you should be able to get them.

Back