• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 K1200GT - saddlebag melts, catches fire at 75MPH

madmatt

gotgas-touring nogas-lost
any similar experiences? August 11, 2015, Bakersfield, CA to Barstow, CA along state road 58 East of Mojave. air temp 110+, cruising 75MPH.

I smell something burning. look around, out of the corner of my eye, left side I see it's me. look back to the front and start braking hard. 1/2 an instant later the plastic saddlebag melted to the point where it fell from the mounting brackets, in the rear view mirror I see cars and trucks trying to dodge a flaming ball bouncing down the highway spewing flaming clothes and everything else as the bag burst open still on fire. thankfully a trucker pulled over as well with a fire extinguisher and put out the flames belching heavy black smoke from the burning plastic in the travel lane and to prevent another brush fire from starting.

there were no chemicals, solvents or fuel in the bag, just clothes, raingear and paperwork. it would appear the hot ambient air temp and the heat rising from the exhaust pipe caused spontaneous combustion within the bag to ignite the contents OR the bag just softened to the point where it rested on the exhaust pipe and ignited the plastic.

have any other people experienced anything like this in the desert with your bags catching fire?

YES, I was OK as was the K, less the burn stain on the chrome exhaust.

the next day I was hospitalized for 3 days having succumb to the heat myself. my kids talked me into leaving the bike in Nevada and flying home to recuperate. I had been on the road for some 5 weeks when this happened. guess I'll be finishing this ride in Oct or Nov when I go back to retrieve the K GT.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Wow. You had a good escape here, glad to hear it.

While clothes, raingear, and papers are all combustible, they're pretty inert, and without the fumes one gets from oily rags; I don't think they would spontaneously burn, even at >110˚. I think your second hypothesis is correct: the bag softened, and dropped down enough to touch the muffler.

Was the bag correctly seated on its mounts? And some BMW bags have had pasted-on metallic insulation on the bottom of the bag, providing some thermal protection from the just-underneath-it muffler. Perhaps you can find some similar appropriate material to add to the bottom of the replacement bag.

Last edited:
the bag was mounted correctly. you cannot flip the latch or remove the key if it's not. there was no foil type insulation on the bags bottom.

As a side note: My '03 K1200RS left bag had some foil type insulation on the outside but inner and bottom part of the bag. I even went as far as adding more for a more complete coverage.

Why? I felt the contents at times after coming to a stop and the items sure were hot. After adding the additional insulation on the outside of the bag, while the contents is hot still, not like I remember before I added the additional coverage.

Last edited:
Having ridden in exact same conditions for extended times, and also having mounted the bag incorrectly.....I would suggest that indeed the bag was not correctly mounted. I think this because I have, on occasion (caught it each time after the first.....,) mounted the bag such that I did not get it correctly on the back of the passenger peg mount piece. The first time was the right bag and it resulted in lots of horn honking as I rode down the road, and a really wierd black line about 1" wide for the full circumference of my rear wheel when I got home. Hmmmm, what is this? Oh, and gee, my bag seems loose....Oh, I missed the front lower mount but was able to easily close the locking handle....I had a matching melt mark on the corner of the bag. this was on a ride home from working the races at Sears Point to Fiddletown, 120 miles and about 110 F from Vacaville on home. So, I was able to mount it incorrectly and my guess would be that this is what happened and it was resting against the muffler after not too long. 110 F and 70-80 mph for hours never caused an issue on mine, and I have done it many times in the last 136,000 miles. Although......my left bag still has the relatively small amount of original heat shield installed by the factory.....Without this, maybe it would get tooooo hot, certainly without it and if the lower front mount was missed, I could see this happening. I certainly feel for you, sorry it happened, but glad you and everyone else is okay!

Last edited:
Incorrectly mounted bag. On the RS/GT you can miss the lower mount on inside or outside. Outside, the bag falls off after a bump or two. Inside, it comes too close to the ex pipe and eventually makes contact. Some folks have cross-drilled the lower bag mount and the aluminum stub extension it fits around so they can install a hairpin clip there. Adds an extra step to mount/dismount procedure but forces one to look and make sure the mount was properly in place.

Sorry you encountered the problem but glad you're not hurt!
Best,

DG

I've been thinking about it. there may have been some food/candy bar/ junk food in the bag to ignite.

Back