• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 K1200 GT seat configuration considerations for 6.2 33" rider and 2-up

dougallinger

I currently ride a '99 R1100RT but it's out of commission and will likely take me all winter to get back on the road. I love how nimble the bike is and trust it implicitly in twisties. But with 140k+ miles and lacking some modern features, my eye was wandering and found for sale a 2004 K1200 GT locally. (I don't really need to justify why I might want a second bike and want it NOW on this forum, do I? :) ) So I test rode and loved the power, look and handling of the 2004 K1200 GT. But I'm concerned about driver seat height, knee angle and passenger comfort for 2-up riding.

I've seen other posts on this forum that riders taller than me are happy with this bike, but before I buy I want to make sure I'm not overlooking significant cost or comfort factors.

The current owner is about 5'7.5" and has a custom Sargeant seat and pegs in the higher position, with no bar backs. So it is set up for someone six inches shorter than me. So, while I liked the slightly forward position, on my test ride I felt like I was riding a crotch rocket my feet were up so high. I previously rode a K1100 LT, which seemed more similar to the RT in terms of position.

My questions are:
1) If he had a custom seat made to suit his shorter height and smaller butt size, it seems likely that I may need 1) another seat, 2) lower pegs, 3) bar riser back. Possibly wider handle bar?

2) How is this bike for 2-up moderate touring (300 +/- miles per day) with the current seat and lack of hard trunk? Does anyone have experience with that?

3) Other considerations?

Thanks!

Meh - 6' 1" 34" inseam. Go back to the stock saddle, low setting, and leave everything else alone. BMW got the ergos right with the GT and RS. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it's a day trip and little more than a picnic along the way, the bags will do. One up for 1000+ miles - the bags are about OK. There are removable top case mounts for two-up and overnight somewhere. My '03 K1200RS has short legs - 160 mi and I'm thinking serious about gas - 180+ and I'm walking to the nearest gas station. I get religion about tracking distance. This is being moderately heavy-handed on the throttle in places where the road isn't straight. Slabbing bumps the mileage up. Two-up drops the mileage. "Your mileage may vary" [grin]

Things to watch out for: A-V: replace the plastic fuel quick disconnects with metal quick disconnects. Failure means anywhere from "out of gas syndrome" to lots of gas dumped a very hot exhaust manifold. Look into the opening on the right side of the tupperwear, where a bit of the motor sticks out. If you see a white plastic disconnect - FIX IT like it happened yesterday. If you see a metal disconnect, hope the one you can't see is metal, too. BMW Motorrad issued a service bulletin about this but too many bikes didn't get fixed.

W: In neutral, the gearbox rattles like a box of rocks. They all do that - honest. I forget which shaft it is, but BMW Motorrad was sloppy about the fit and... box o' rocks. Don't sweat it.

X: Never, never, never park with the nose pointed downhill. A parking lot dump is soooooooo embarrassing. Besides, the bike is a pig to back up. If you have no choice in the matter, leave it in gear!!! The truth is, at "paddling around" speeds in a parking lot, this bike isn't very good because of its high center of gravity.

Y: Brakes... the servo brakes make some people nuts, some people (me included) like them. And miss them when on a non-servo bike. YMMV If the ABS modulator fails, you have a decision to make. You're looking at about $2K back out the door. The bike's value is not so very far off that. You either love the bike no end (like me), or look at parting it out. There are people who take the ABS out (ugly process). There are people who contemplate suicide. Don't be one.

Z: The PO installed a set of Öhlin shocks. Wilber makes good shocks, too. It's something to consider. Speaking of handling, 40 PSI up front, 42 PSI in the back is a good starting point. In my experience, somewhere around 38 PSI up front, the bike stops wanting to steer well. In any case, the rear gets more than the front, but not by much. Tire type? Whatever makes you feel good.

Aside from that, I've ridden later bikes, up to a week in the Alps on a '17 K1600GT. None, none, but none sing to me like my K1200RS. The GT is only a civilized RS. Welcome to the fun. Fix the QD's and go riding. A lot.

P.S. My wife and Lufthansa willing, I plan to take my RS to Germany next year. Yum!!

First thing to forget is the K1100LT. The only thing in common with your K1200GT would be the first letter in the name.
I believe the stock GT seat is a bit thicker than the one on my K12RS, so that would help with the knee room issue. No idea about what your custom seat does for that, but since it was made for short rider, it probably went in the wrong direction. The GT seats also had heat, which can be nice.
The stock seats also adjusted for height; two positions at the front. Not a huge difference to look at it, but it made a big difference to my knees, and I'm only 5' 9". Make sure you're in the higher position.
I never tried to raise the footpegs, but I have no doubt you and I would both hate it. Be aware that in the lower position, the pegs can touch down on certain road conditions (short of highspeed cornering).
The GT came with bars positioned further back than the RS. I suppose you could add risers to the stock GT setup if needed.
As for two-up touring, I usually get by with the two hardbags (cursing BMW for shrinking the left one for no good reason) plus a soft bag on the rear rack that BMW offered. You'll need to convince her to pack light, or hunt up a GIVI top case.
I've done a 1000 mile day on mine (solo) and 500 milers when two-up. The limited fuel tank range (low fuel light at 160 miles) used to be a hassle, but now my butt welcomes the more frequent need to stop.
Only designed-in faults I know of are the fuel connectors (mentioned in the response above), leaking o-ring/rear main seal which will wet your clutch, and failing final drives. I've dealt with them all. Bleeding the e-brakes is a PITA, but hopefully extends the life of the pricey modulator. Truthfully I think the Rs have many of the same traits, so you may not be assuming any new risk.
I used to buy a new bike every 2-4 years. I've had my 2003 K12RS now for 9. Just can't see where any of the newer ones offer anything I don't already have.

My wife and I had 03 K1200RSs which is very similar to the GT.
I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10" Both of us have 34" inseams.
Riding one up we were very comfortable on long days.
Pretty sure the RS left the factory with the pegs in the low position, we never changed ours.
I usually road with the seat in the low position and my wife liked hers in the high position.
As mentioned above, try to find a stock GT seat. A lot of RS riders swapped their RS seats for GT seats and it was more comfortable and heat was a plus for the ones who hooked it up.
I don't know if your RT had cruise but the cruise on the GT/RS sure is nice to have.

Thank you for the detailed responses!

The PO doesn't have the original seats and the Sargent doesn't have heat, but I checked and they can update the custom seat to a "high" seat for what sounded like a fairly nominal fee (compared with a new one.) Otherwise, I keep an eye out for used original seat with heat.

I definitely was "sold" halfway through my test ride up Parley's Canyon between Salt Lake and Park City. The power and handling were awesome.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow and look forward to becoming an active and contributing member of the group.

Back