• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2003 K1200GT - Brake pad suggestions

jrmull

Any recommendations on brake pads for this 2003 K1200GT ? I am stock up for a someday weekend project. I heard some EBC names batted around but I think other brands are suggested on BoneYard and Pirates.

I see

Max BMW parts
1934217657025 SET: REARS BRAKE PADS KIT $84.19
334117660448 SET: BRAKE PADS KIT, WHITE - BREMBO $101.70

BoneYard
BBCL2332RX3 rear 39
BBCL1101A3 front 77

Pirates Lair
2332 rx3 rear 47.90
1101 A3 Front 89.90

Thanks for ideas.

When I changed pads on our 03 K1200RSs I used Carbon Lorraine pads on my bike and OEM pads on Debbie's bike.
I was able to buy the OEM pads from a i-BMW member cheaper than the after market pads.
With hard braking both bikes felt the same but when first applying the brakes the OEM pads had a slightly better feel.
The Carbon Lorraine pads wore about the same as the OEM pads and brake dust was about the same.

I'll probably go with Carbon Lorraine when I change the pads on our R1200RSs.

There are two types. One is HH rated. Not sure on HH meaning that but $13 more. My riding is passive commuting style vs twisty hard breaking into corners. But it's nice to stop on a dime too. My current pads are from the BMW dealer, probably EOM.

Front brake types at Boneyard
Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads 1101SBK5 HH 89
Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads 1101A3 76

HH or A3?

I have previous trust in either of the three companies. Initially my selection was the Carbone Lorraine too.

Brake pads are rated using letters that represent the coefficient of friction "cold" and "hot". The later the letter in the alphabet the higher the friction provided. BMW OEM pads are usually FF or FG rated Pads. So HH offer greater friction and thus greater stopping power. The downside is that the pads might wear a little quicker, and brake rotor wear might happen faster. That said, I use HH pads for every application they are available. I'll trade stopping distance for pad wear any day of the week.

Back